Sign in with
Your question

The best argument about PC Piracy that you will ever read.

Tags:
  • PC gaming
  • Piracy
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
February 15, 2010 8:19:07 PM

I know this is probably old news because the article is a year or two old, but I came across it and was absolutely blown away by it, I felt I had to share it.

The article is very long, it took me a good 40 minutes to read but I couldn't stop reading, it really devastates alot of beliefs about piracy, DRM, developer profits etc.

It also goes hand in hand with discussing why pc gaming is 'dying' and why the move to consoles is so prevalent now.

After reading this I am VERY scared about the long term viability of HARDCORE PC gaming/games.

And I am an optimist.

Read the article, or what you can, you owe it to yourself to be completely informed about these issues.

http://www.tweakguides.com/Piracy_1.html

More about : argument piracy read

February 17, 2010 8:56:28 PM

doesn't seem like anybody cares.

but yea i play 12yr olds on crappy consoles now because pirates helped ruin the PC genra. all leeches eventually suck the host dry to their own detriment though. pirates have now lost their host and the legitimate symbiosis everybody else had with it is dead too. "what goes around comes around" comes to mind. or the scientific equivalent : "energy can not be created or destroyed, only moved from one place to the next". or try the Hindu concept of Karma - they all say the same thing. its a basic fact of life.

the arguments in favor of piracy were/are a joke. the pirate underdogs were simply fighting DRM for the rest of us - an overbearing system put in place because of them in the first place? They fought the "greedy corporations" who brainwashed us while they themselves were being brainwashed by greedy torrent site owners. and the most bogus argument - any game developer making a profiting from their own hard work impinged on the "freedom" of consumers - lol. how u gonna run a civilization based on that one? but we all know these arguments are really self-denials used to justify a pirate's greed (or ego).

for some reason underdogs, even those leeching off society often get the popular vote. pirates are cool. sort of like the mafia or smokey and the bandit. the Sopranos was kinda fun to watch on tv but did you really want to think about what they did for a living - and how many of your tax dollars went to them. it might be cool until they extort YOUR business or murder your kid. when stuff comes home to roost its not so cool anymore - and it has.
February 17, 2010 9:35:45 PM

Oh no, this argument happened not too long ago. why must you people beat a dead horse....
Related resources
February 18, 2010 12:55:01 AM

That's a lot of reading. He does raise several good points, though.

Actually, it's the only well-informed and backed-up argument about piracy I've ever read.
February 18, 2010 12:59:53 AM

I also must admit that it is a good article. It is very thorough and covers many different aspects of it. But believe it or not, whining and blaming problems on piracy will NOT stop people. and the MPAA or RIAA over reacting to certain hand-chosen cases and making regular people pay millions of dollars, will NOT stop people. Provide a human with a very convenient, easy, and cheap (or free) way to acquire something that he/she wants, and they will take it. UNLESS of course if their morals interfere. But everybody's morals are different.
February 18, 2010 1:24:01 AM

Dekasav said:
That's a lot of reading. He does raise several good points, though.

Actually, it's the only well-informed and backed-up argument about piracy I've ever read.

I totally agree, somebody finally took an honest approach to the whole situation and the article is dead on.

I honestly beleive that *some* people who pirate software would at least think twice about it after reading this, I mean, we are at the point in the PC market where some games are pirated so much that the developer doesn't even make one dime of profit, after paying the development costs, nobody is going to make that mistake twice, they will simply stop making PC games that lose them money, or go to the consoles that are pirated about 40-80% less on average, and sell 5 times more.
February 18, 2010 1:30:16 AM

You know another thing that I have changed my mind about is DRM, I was one of those people who was very upset about DRM in games like Bioshock, and Crysis, but after learning how rampant pirating is, and how important keeping your game from being cracked is for the first week or so after it's launch, I honestly say bring it on.

Honestly, put as much DRM on my disk as you need to, to keep it from being cracked. Obviously I don't want the DRM to do anything 'bad' to my computer, but there are so many hoaxes about DRM out there (probably stemming from pirates) that I don't beleive any of it.

The article goes to say how Starforce kept Splinter cell from being cracked for over a year, an epic success. Suddenly however there were claims that starforce did all these terrible things to your computer and people beleived it like sheep. The outrage go so bad that Ubisoft canned starforce.

I say bring it back, I am so sick of all these pirates I am willing to endure draconian security on my legal retail disk, if in any way it can prevent someone from stealing from everybody else and becoming a free rider.

/end rant.
February 18, 2010 1:53:42 AM

Annisman, regardless of how many drms they tack on, the games will always be cracked by some cracking pro and then put up on torrent sites. Its just the truth drms dont do much of anything nowadays.
February 18, 2010 2:20:14 AM

JDV28 said:
Annisman, regardless of how many drms they tack on, the games will always be cracked by some cracking pro and then put up on torrent sites. Its just the truth drms dont do much of anything nowadays.

Well I'm not sure if you read the article, but it stated that the DRM we see today is not meant to make the game uncrackable, it is just meant to help make it uncrackable for the first few days-weeks of it's launch, which is where the game makes most of it's profit.

Basically, if the game is launched and there is no cracked version, some people who are on the fence about buying the game may decide to stop waiting for the cracked version and go buy it.

I know that sounds stupid, because people should BUY any game that they want real bad, but that is how it goes.

I am just saying that if developers can find a DRM that keeps it uncracked for about a month or so, they can make some profit and actually get a gain from all their hard work and want to make more PC games. Also, after that month the stupid pirates who beleive that corporate america wants to steal all their money can play their cracked version, a month late.

In a way, everyone wins.
February 19, 2010 7:39:23 PM

In the latest issue of Maximum PC, the EIC touched on the topic of the potential death of PC gaming (and possibly Windows) but he points the finger at Microsoft, and their focusing on consoles-only games and cloud computing (Office 2010), thereby reducing the importance of Windows OS and eventually PC gaming.
February 20, 2010 3:46:16 AM

Why would Microsoft try to lessen the importance of their own OS ?
February 21, 2010 1:08:53 PM

Annisman said:
Well I'm not sure if you read the article, but it stated that the DRM we see today is not meant to make the game uncrackable, it is just meant to help make it uncrackable for the first few days-weeks of it's launch, which is where the game makes most of it's profit.

Basically, if the game is launched and there is no cracked version, some people who are on the fence about buying the game may decide to stop waiting for the cracked version and go buy it.

I know that sounds stupid, because people should BUY any game that they want real bad, but that is how it goes.

I am just saying that if developers can find a DRM that keeps it uncracked for about a month or so, they can make some profit and actually get a gain from all their hard work and want to make more PC games. Also, after that month the stupid pirates who beleive that corporate america wants to steal all their money can play their cracked version, a month late.

In a way, everyone wins.

But anyone who does download pirated games knows Oh i can juat wait 2 weeks and get it free. So drms are useless imo. And im sure that alot of people could justify waiting a couple weeks and saving 50 bux.
February 21, 2010 1:13:52 PM

Annisman said:
Why would Microsoft try to lessen the importance of their own OS ?

They sort of are by not really staying in the pc gaming world. And just a fun little fact not really relevant here, but that MS stated that they are done trying to fight the piracy of Windows, and sort of just gave into it.
February 21, 2010 4:00:03 PM

JDV28 said:
But anyone who does download pirated games knows Oh i can juat wait 2 weeks and get it free. So drms are useless imo. And im sure that alot of people could justify waiting a couple weeks and saving 50 bux.

DRM is not useless, you are not looking at the facts here.

You are right, drm will always be cracked at some point, that is NOT the main factor here, actually it has little to do with it at all.

Companies want to release games that have not been cracked on day 1, this gives them opportunity to make as much sales as possible on people who are excited and anticipating the release of the game ( I am sure you and me fall into this category).

The game is not cracked, bam, they get a good amount of sales the first few days as people are excited about the new game.

Now, if it is STILL not cracked after a few weeks people who often pirate games, but will occasionally pay for a game or two, will go buy the game because they don't want to wait for a cracked version. ( sadly about 25% of gamers fall into this category I would estimate)

Then youve got people who cant afford the game at full price, but have some honesty and wait to buy the game later on sale.

If you can get these three demographics to buy your product, it is a huge success for any game release, regardless if the game is cracked later on.

My point is that DRM MAXIMIZES profit in the first week or two of release so that once the pirates crack the game they will have hopefully made profit, and will then hopefully continue to make PC games and not just console trash.
February 21, 2010 4:54:17 PM

Yea, but its sad that these companies must resort to HOPING that their DRM will hold out long enough for them not to lose money on these games. Games are something i have big problems with pirating, it does ruin the industry, but I have different thoughts of other things being pirated. But at this point the PC gaming world needs all the help it can get. and yes, me being a very impatient person, if theres a game im stoked for (like BC2) i will preorder it 3 months early and dedicate my life to the beta hehe
February 21, 2010 5:48:14 PM

annisman, you have done me a great justice by putting up this article...

i haven't pirated in years, but i was afraid of buying games with DRM, I was a STEAM only guy

i'm not longer afraid of securom or tages DRM, and I will go ahead and purchase any game with such protection... as long as the game is optimized
February 21, 2010 6:11:34 PM

eklipz330 said:
annisman, you have done me a great justice by putting up this article...

i haven't pirated in years, but i was afraid of buying games with DRM, I was a STEAM only guy

i'm not longer afraid of securom or tages DRM, and I will go ahead and purchase any game with such protection... as long as the game is optimized

I am very glad I could help, I too no longer fear DRM like the plague, and so long as it doesn't mess with my gaming experience I welcome it.

Everybody hear about what is going on with Assasins Creed 2 on PC ?

Ubisoft will require you to have internet access to play the game, I can see why some people would be concerned about that, but for me, and probably most people, I have a secure internet connection that rarely goes down, making my game useless.

I mean, in reality if you play Steam games (which require you to sign in online to play) then this won't be any different, however I see threads all over the place about people getting pissed off about this new DRM by Ubisoft, I want to slap these people, hand them this article, and say "get over it, as of RIGHT NOW this is the best thing that we can do to help keep the industry alive."
February 21, 2010 8:13:36 PM

I still think we'll have some radical changes in how business runs, in our future. Whether that is PC gaming "dies" and nearly all devs go to console-only or to a definitive console-centric design or new business models pop up. I, for one, don't mind the idea of ad-supported/ad-assisted games. I'm relatively low on money (poor, starving college kid) and so cheap (older) games, used games, and Steam sales are where I get the majority of my entertainment, and I think ad-supported games will start popping up more often than they have so far.

Also, in all honesty, I wouldn't mind devs focusing more on stories and gameplay than on their new graphics engine. How much dev time/money could you save by using the same, maybe updated engine for a few games. Like Mass Effect 1/2, if you give me a few games that look about the same, use the same engine, have some new models and textures, but are largely the same, but make a new story, sequel, etc. I have no problem still buying that game. I know there are people who think differently, and think that if a game doesn't look better than every game before it it's not worth having, but honestly, I think that's pretty rare on the whole.

One thing I'm certain of, is I really hope PC gaming survives, thrives, and that we, as a community (gamers, pirates, and devs) find a way through this that everyone can accept.
February 21, 2010 8:33:16 PM

Annisman said:
I am very glad I could help, I too no longer fear DRM like the plague, and so long as it doesn't mess with my gaming experience I welcome it.

Everybody hear about what is going on with Assasins Creed 2 on PC ?

Ubisoft will require you to have internet access to play the game, I can see why some people would be concerned about that, but for me, and probably most people, I have a secure internet connection that rarely goes down, making my game useless.

I mean, in reality if you play Steam games (which require you to sign in online to play) then this won't be any different, however I see threads all over the place about people getting pissed off about this new DRM by Ubisoft, I want to slap these people, hand them this article, and say "get over it, as of RIGHT NOW this is the best thing that we can do to help keep the industry alive."

Slap me if you will, but a DRM that requires you to be connected to the internet to play is not good. It is only going to drive people AWAY from the game because of this horrible inconvenience, therefore reversing the effect it is supposed to have. So it is not keeping the industry alive, but making people turn away from what should have been a great game, and give the word DRM a meaning of "a part of a game that is horribly inconvenient to gamers and should not exist."
February 22, 2010 12:10:27 AM

I looked at this article about 2 weeks ago and didn't manage to get through it. Will have to finish it off soon :) 
February 22, 2010 2:12:41 AM

randomizer said:
I looked at this article about 2 weeks ago and didn't manage to get through it. Will have to finish it off soon :) 

It's def. worth the read I only skipped over one page and that was because I had been reading for about an hour and I wanted to see his conclusion.
February 22, 2010 2:19:10 AM

JDV28 said:
Slap me if you will, but a DRM that requires you to be connected to the internet to play is not good. It is only going to drive people AWAY from the game because of this horrible inconvenience, therefore reversing the effect it is supposed to have. So it is not keeping the industry alive, but making people turn away from what should have been a great game, and give the word DRM a meaning of "a part of a game that is horribly inconvenient to gamers and should not exist."

You are right, this kind of DRM is not good, but to them, their game getting pirated and losing tons of sales is worse

...and that is something that I can understand and accept.

@Dekasav:

You bring up a good point about using the same game engines to save money, but if we do that, won't we be losing part of what PC gaming is all about ?

I mean, how many graphics cards were bought so people could play Crysis with decent fps, regardless of how 'good' or 'bad' the actual gameplay was ? The quality of the gameplay was actually quite debatable, regardless, it wowed everybody with it's graphics, made console kids poo themselves, and made us all glad to be pc gamers regardless of the hardware that we owned, because we knew what was out there for us, and if we WANTED to spend the money, we could go get it. That is just one piece of what this platform is about, but it is an important one that should never be taken away, let game developers keep pushing the graphics envelope with new engines, if they don't who will, the consoles ???
February 22, 2010 8:20:48 PM

so hw much time approx will it take for a complete halt in pc gaming production with the current piracy rate???????
February 22, 2010 8:33:13 PM

bhagat666 said:
so hw much time approx will it take for a complete halt in pc gaming production with the current piracy rate???????

As long as there are PCs (or some device close enough to what we currently recognize as a PC) there will be gaming on said devices. Major publishers cutting back on PC gaming just opens up the market to independent developers and the PC is by far the easiest platform to develop, release and distribute on for independent game makers. Even beyond independents the PC market will always be there so there is no way 100% of large developers/publishers will completely avoid it especially where they kind find alternative revenue models for their games (MMOs). I'm not sure why people keep harping on "the death of PC gaming"? I mean consoles have proven to be much more vulnerable platforms than the PC (who's still gaming on a Sega platform? - or Nintendo for that matter when it comes to serious gaming?)
!