Tribes 2 RESURRECTED! (Best. Game. Ever)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamrock

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009
One word. Tribes. Another number. 2.

Tribes 2!

Now, I don't know which of you have played the game or heard of the game.

If you fit in the above category, I feel sorry for you! I really do!

Tribes 2 was the pioneer of it's day, and no, Battlefield 1942 was not he first massive-scale online game with vehicles and flags.

Tribes 2 was, and it was a hell of a lot better. Did I mention you have jetpacks?

You use the jetpacks to "ski" down mountains. Meaning, you build momentum and speed by soaring into the air ( I mean REALLY High,) And on your descent landing on a large mountainside and "ski-ing" down the mountain. By doing this, you gain even MORE speed, and then you fly even HIGHER and some fool comes flying past you and you spinfuser his ass into Oblivion MID-AIR.

Sounds intense? That's cause it is.

Never played any other game like it, and to this day it is still one of the most fun games out there. It's a pure adrenaline rush. Not for the faint of heart, or those against a "slight" learning curve. A bit of an understatement. But, there are many roles to play. You can go outfit in light armor, and do as I stated above if you like flying high and fast. Or put on the Juggernaut armor and rain green nukes down upon your opponents blowing them into pieces. Whichever suits you best. Or play both!

It has classes, you can choose your weapons, grenades, armor type. You have a base in each map that needs to be defended, if you like playing defense. Defense is a big part of the game. You have destructible turrets defending your base and first, forcefields, and power generators. Blowing up these items obviously makes your base more vulnerable, and destroying the generator powers down all things in the base leaving it open for attack. You are also unable to outfit in new armor because your inventory stations are powered down as well.

Ever play the engineer class in Team Fortress 2 and find it fun to build a turret. Well, in Tribes 2 you have 3 different types of turrets, you can lay down force fields, portable inventory stations, and align your turrets well and the enemy will have a tough time infiltrating your base.

You also have a whole assortment of "packs" to choose from. Energy pack, which gives you more jetpack power which a light armor user would use if he is going for the flag. Shield pack, repair pack, Sensor jammer pack. You name it.

There are bombers, shrikes (think awesome dogfights), Transport ships, which you load up with Juggernauts and rain hell down on the enemy base destroying anything in sight with green nukes called mortars. There are tanks, which have an equipped mortar as well as a machine gun.

That is just a glimpse of what the game beholds.

Did I mention jetpacks? Flying at high speed, shooting people in mid-air, all accompanied by some badass techno music. If all you want to do is fly high and ski down mountains you could do it ALL day and never get bored. Switch to a different armor type and play a different role of which there are hundreds and you have a whole new game to play.

Most team oriented game i've played. Most fun FPS i've played, and i've played all the new ones. Beats MW2 out of the water. It is becoming more and more popular by the day with the resurrection and it can be played on old computers no problem!

http://www.tribesnext.com/

Play it to believe it. (This is not a marketing or advertisement attempt, I simply am spreading the word of IMO one of the best games of all time.)

If you too have played Tribes 2. I would like to hear what you have to say about it as well. Was my first online game, and to this day still my favorite although I have been spoiled some by playing Crysis. The graphics are still quite good as well, it is not an eyesore by any means.

http://www.tribesnext.com/

-Jamrock :bounce:

JDV28

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2009
UGH someone posted about this game a month or two back. i gave it a try and really didnt like it. It feel like a really generic low-budget game. But people should still give it a try to form their own opinion.

Jamrock

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009
Misinformed, bad answer! Tribes has books, and has a whole backstory describing the fight between the Bioderm and the Tribes. I think it has a cool universe, did you play on Goon Haven?

How long did you play it for?

If your bad, which you must have been, and most of the people on there are extremely good then naturally you would not like the game.

There have been a lot more noobs lately though, just because it doesn't have the best graphics (although, when it came out the best computer couldn't even run it the graphics were so advanced,) and to this day I don't find them bad at all for an older game.

I bet you played it for about 10 minutes and formed your opinion then, not knowing at all what you were doing. It's a little overwhelming at first cause there is so much to do, you probably had no idea where to go, what to do, and just kept getting killed.

Sometimes there are rush maps, where people rush with Juggernaut and you just can't do much if you get hit on a bad team. All of which you said really is not valid, and it is far from generic.

Play Section 8 if you want generic, they tried to copy tribes to an extent and failed miserably.

JDV28

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2009
^ wow, instantly jumping to a conclusion, how ignorant! You are actually TELLING me that i sucked at the game and played for 10 minutes. I dont want to play a game that looks and feels like a low budget sci-fi movie. It just isnt a good game imho. Graphics were bad, controls were shotty, and it felt like an unfinished game. I am just telling people what i thought of the game. DO NOT get angry and start personal flaming because someone doesnt agree with you.

Jamrock

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009
Ahhh, Tribes 2 was actually my first game. So it holds a special place in my heart.

I wasn't aiming to say anything personal or to insult, although, you jumped to a hefty conclusion yourself and your second post verifies that. You don't judge a book by its cover, there is a lot underneath the "look and feel" of the game. It's old, so therefore it doesn't have Crysis-esque graphics. The feel of the game, you have to take into account that it is not new and has different controls.

It controls the same way as any other FPS you would play nowadays, a few different keys to press here and there which of course are completely adjustable. As far as an unfinished game, i'll have to disagree with you. When it first came out, yeah, it had some issues but i'd challenge you to find something about it that is "unfinished" to you. It does exactly what it set out to do, and does a damn fine job considering that hasn't been any game remotely like it since.

Section 8 is a poor, poor example of a game that tried to borrow aspects of Tribes and failed. Battlefield is a series that ripped every component out of tribes, as they pioneered the whole massive scope online gameplay in the first place and marketed the game and published it under EA Games. Sure, it's gonna be more popular, does NOT mean it is a better game.

Based on your reply and your "opinions" about the game, you obviously did not give it a fair trial and it's apparent that you made a conclusion without proper basis behind it.

Anyways, that aside, I think you should give it another try. Did you ever master the skiing part of the game?

My roommates have come in and said that the game looks like a crapload of fun. TBH, and as you will now see I was not flaming anybody, it has a steep learning curve and yeah people that aren't great will be put off by it. If your bad, you can't "ski" you can't jetpack and you can't kill anybody. All you can do is walk around in heavy armor, and that is not how the game was meant to be played. IF you learn how to jetpack properly and learn how to gracefully ski up and down mountains, it's like an artform you really feel like your flying. No feeling like it i've ever experienced in a game, its a crazy adrenaline rush.

JackBootedThug

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2011
The thing I like about this game is the freedom of movement combined with the sheer amount of options the player has. There are so many ways to go about your particular task. There is nothing like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.