ASUS P4P800 SATA? or Not? whats the advantage?

frenzyFoL

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2002
Hi guys,
Im thinking of getting a
ASUS P4P800 DELUXE i865PE, Dual DDR400, RAID, SATA, Firewire, Gb LAN, 5.1 Audio
I want to set up a raid 1 (mirror) on that computer. I was wondering if you can set up a raid with SATA? and if its any advantage over setting up a raid with standard 133ATA?

This quote from Tom's, seems to suggest that the raid controller cannot support SATA , true??
---------------------------------
Otherwise, the same cost-cutting measures apply as with the P4C800: a RAID controller from VIA (VT6410) for ATA/133 without serial support and the Gigabit LAN chip with PCI connection from 3COM.
---------------------------------

This quote from the manufacturer suggests RAID is available for ATA133, and only RAID 0 available for SATA.
-------------------------
The VIA IDE-RAID controller supports two-channel ATA 133, enabling users to build Maximum 4 ATA-133 hard disk as an RAID0, 1 , 0+1 , JBOD array. And the graphical user interface provides an easy way to configure and manage disk drives or disk arrays connected

ICH5R with Integrated SATA and RAID 0
Intel is the world’s first chipset maker to integrate Serial ATA (SATA) and RAID 0 functions into the South Bridge. The latest ICH5R chipset now delivers 150MB/s fast data transfer (SATA) and striping performance (RAID 0) to enhance computing efficiency. (Supported WinXP only)
-------------------

Should I care that I cant set up my RAID 1 with SATA? would it give me any speed increase if I could?
Thanks
Adam

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, you can RAID with either controller. I suggest the ICH5R controller. Better yet I suggest you save some money and go with the Abit IS7, which also has the ICH5R controller, firewire, and cost a bunch less than the P4P800 Deluxe (even less than the basic P4P800 in fact).

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

frenzyFoL

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2002
Thanks Crashman,
Ill check out that mobo,

Couple more questions,
Whats better about serial ATA? in a RAID setup? over standard ATA133?

I understand that you can RAID with SATA, but it seems from my above company quotes that this RAID setup is limited to RAID 0. Is this true? No RAID 1?

Cheers,

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'm fairly certain Intel's controller can do RAID1 as well.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

jammydodger

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2001
The cables are thinner...thats about it. No hard drive can take advantage of the 133mb/s offered by PATA let alone the 150mb/s offered by SATA, so there is no speed increase when using SATA. Im currently using an Abit AI7, and RAID 0 via the southbridge, the only reason i opted for SATA was because if the much thinner cables.

[Insert witty comment here]