Microsoft Warns of Win 7 Graphics Security Hole

Status
Not open for further replies.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
Not unexpected, Windows has always been the vulnerable OS because of it's dominance, careful users and those with proper security software/settings should be fine :)

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
Agreed...there are numerous bugs, especially since Microsoft has looked to play with most hardware and software and as stated are the big player in the market (particularly business).

I don't think we'll ever get to perfectly secure coding, so bugs/security holes will continue to exist.

G

Oh goodie, I knew there were a reason I always disabled Aero.

megahustler

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
I run Win7 64-bit Pro, and MSSE real-time protection never fails at causing my computer to freeze up completely. I should probably check if disabling Aero fixes that.

randomizer

Champion

Dominance makes an OS vulnerable to attack, but it doesn't contribute to vulnerabilities in the design. That's just a development fault which needs to be corrected.

tpi2007

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
I have Kasppersky Internet Security installed on Win 7 64-bit Home Premium and two days ago Aero turned itself off automatically, then the PC was unresponsive for about two minutes, then it came back on, it was very weird.

What I know is that at random hours, the system becomes unstable, Flash videos work very slowly, Firefox does not render the menus in time (takes about 1 minute to render a menu)... I was starting to think something was wrong... maybe it's this.

Anyway, I just turned off Aero for now.

This goes to show that the 64-bit versions of Windows are not more secure than the 32 bit ones by default. Every version has it's own strengths and weaknesses .

matt314

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
[citation][nom]randomizer[/nom]Dominance makes an OS vulnerable to attack, but it doesn't contribute to vulnerabilities in the design. That's just a development fault which needs to be corrected.[/citation]

All software have vulnerabilities. While some argue that the unix platform is inherently more secure, windows' dominance makes it much more apt to be carefully dissected for vulnerabilities. It is widely known that m$ has the best security policies period.

theuerkorn

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
...64-bit OS to experience non-responsive systems, restarts and unauthorized code execution...
Of those, the non-responsive system has been bugging me for a while. Really thought it was due to the ATI driver, but it appears that it's with MS. Especially since the new architecture is said to prevent exactly that. Hmph.

scott_madison1

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010
Every OS. Has it's flaws. There is positively absolutely no way to make any piece of software 100 percent safe! Honestly I've been running win 7 64 bit since last year and I'm very impressed. My video driver crashes on occasion and 7 almost always gets it back up and going without crashing. Can't say the same for XP!

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
[citation][nom]randomizer[/nom]Dominance makes an OS vulnerable to attack, but it doesn't contribute to vulnerabilities in the design. That's just a development fault which needs to be corrected.[/citation]

Linux, Unix, and OS X aren't full proof. In fact, it could be argued that they are much less secure than Win7 (if you know what you're doing). Design isn't necessarily an issue when you have more attackers than you have employees. The fact that this issue WILL be fixed soon just shows their level of commitment.

Besides, no amount of programming can stop an individual from giving out their passwords to whatever "official" e-mail that asks. Human error is the largest security hole, and that will NEVER be patched.

-1 MS

Wasn't there a similar case happened with windows xp and .jpg...

They just never learn:
Fix a security hole with one OS but not in the new one.

Stop spending money on advertisement and put some in developing better software Ms retarded..

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
[citation][nom]dextermat[/nom]-1 MS Wasn't there a similar case happened with windows xp and .jpg...They just never learn: Fix a security hole with one OS but not in the new one.Stop spending money on advertisement and put some in developing better software Ms retarded..[/citation]

That's right! Write thousands of lines of new code without encountering any bugs or errors! I'm not a programmer and I know everything! -_-

[citation][nom]dextermat[/nom]-1 MS Wasn't there a similar case happened with windows xp and .jpg...They just never learn: Fix a security hole with one OS but not in the new one.Stop spending money on advertisement and put some in developing better software Ms retarded..[/citation]
Aero and a jpeg load exploit are 2 very different things.

So far i have not had any such crashes. If it starts getting to be an issue for many users I may disable aero. but other then that, its hard to go back to a non v-sync/hardware accelerated desktop.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]nukemaster[/nom]Aero and a jpeg load exploit are 2 very different things.So far i have not had any such crashes. If it starts getting to be an issue for many users I may disable aero. but other then that, its hard to go back to a non v-sync/hardware accelerated desktop.[/citation]

I couldn't live without aero anymore. I've grown so used to it, that disabling it makes me feel like I'm back on windows antique. Even on my 2008 r2 system I installed the 'desktop experience' feature so it didn't feel like an old system. And I barely even need to use it, as it only runs homepage and gateway services.

superblahman123

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]Not unexpected, Windows has always been the vulnerable OS because of it's dominance, careful users and those with proper security software/settings should be fine[/citation]

I agree partially, Windows is the big target because of it's dominance, but it's also a big target when it advertises unfixed security holes in their OS.

The first step to fixing a problem is acknowledging the problem, but you'd think that you'd be a little more subtle about it rather than make it public news. I could guarantee that Apple would die if their security issues were published like this.

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
I just love MS haters... try to imagine where we would be in computing if there had been no MS... Don't try to bring up the other OS's because THEY wouldn't be here except for MS either.

As aggravating as it is sometimes to encounter a bug, it's nice to know that MS is still LOOKING for bugs and giving us updates instead of ignoring them or not telling us at all.

G

Listen to everyone excusing MS for such a security snafu! Oh, I'll play it safe and turn off Aero.....

Should I disable Compiz on my Ubuntu box to make you all feel better?

Not a chance!

wotan31

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
@waylander, you DO realize how silly your argument is, right? All other modern OS's are either derived from UNIX, or from VMS, both of which were in commercial use long before Microsoft even existed. Not to mention any of the various Mainframe OS's like MPE or OS/390 that are still in use today. Microsoft hasn't innovated a single thing over their entire existance - they've either copied others who came up with the ideas first, or they bought them out. Do a little history homework next time.

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
I disabled Aero a long time ago due to stability issues while playing very old directx games. I wonder if this was related...

pale paladin

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
It is just good to see MS man-ing up and telling everyone openly. How often do you see other OS's doing the same. I'm a UNIX novice and I can hack 10.6 very easily. Safari is like using a colander for a condom. I use Mozilla when using my Mac. Which is very ,, very rarely. I travel with it because of battery life. My entire home network infrastructure is windows 7 64 bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.