S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl graphical issues.

Aello

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2010
Alright, so here I am, throwing myself upon the mercy of the Tom's Hardware crew, hoping that you guys, (and girls) can help a fellow out.

I managed to lay my paws on a copy of this game, and after playing it many times normally, I lusted for something more, so I found and installed L.U.R.K., a graphical and gameplay update mod. After being quite unimpressed with it, I decided to uninstall it, but since it practically shared a kidney with my S.T.A.L.K.E.R. files, I had to uninstall the whole game.

Now, after hearing some awesome reviews about another mod called Stalker Complete 2009, a mod in the same vein as L.U.R.K., being a graphical and gameplay update mod, I decided to give it a whirl. Installed S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: SoC again, patched it up to 1.0005 and installed Stalker Complete 2009. I've done everything by the book, exactly as the instructions said to do it. After getting into the game, the graphics downright SUCKED compared to the original version, but after seeing some screenshots and videos of the mod in action, I figured that couldn't be right. Uninstalled, installed again. Same thing. So I decided to install "vanilla" S.T.A.L.K.E.R. again, and whaddya know, the graphics are horrible now on that as well. No dynamic lighting, no shadows, no swaying trees, the textures are bland and flat... the list goes on and on.

Anybody have any kind of idea what could be causing this? I've searched for some kind of config file or something that could be screwing with it, but I've turned up nothing so far.

System:

Phenom 9500 Quad @ 2.2 Ghz
Diamond ATI HD 4890 1GB
Crucial Ballistix 4GB DDR2
Windows Vista Ultimate x64

Aello

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2010
I guess I should also add that I play the game at 1440x900, and while I don't expect 60+ fps with the Stalker Complete 2009 mod, I do expect it to at least try and look pretty. Right now it looks like a game that came out in 2000.