RCPilot

Champion
1. My cousin's Gateway on board 56k modem is toast. Second time, now it's out of warranty. I want to put a PCI card in & bypass the on board toasted modem. I took it apart & it has 2 add on slots, one of which has a net card installed. They're "Half Height Cards". I don't know what they're called & can't find one to order on line. Could someone tell me what to look for on line, please. I can't find any locally.

2. I think that I could just bend the tab on a regular PCI card & get it close enough to keep in it's slot. 56k modem cards aren't very big & sit close to the board. Anybody ever try that? I can get them locally.

3. Crashman, you got anything used like that, that works? I'm going up lake racing tomorrow & will be coming through your way real early & later after dark. I could meet you somewhere if you've got one. PM me on it, if your interested.

Dazzle them with Brilliance, or Baffle them with BS! :wink:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I make my own half height cards. Most modems are half height or less, just buy one that has a picture. Then bend the tab at the right spot and cut off the excess.

I'd make you one, but all my 1/2 height systems have already been sold, so I don't have a reference system.

I've made network cards for these systems.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

RCPilot

Champion
I did think about an external modem as well. I have had zero experience with them. So I wasn't sure of them & what they can do.

RCPilot

Champion
Thanks Crashman. That's exactly what I planned on doing. I just wanted to know if it had worked for someone before. Is there anything you haven't tried?

I'm going to get a modem & mark the tab, bend it 90 deg.s & install it. The machine I'm fixing doesn't have a screw to install the card. It has a 90 deg. bracket that sits down on the expansion card tabs to hold them. I won't even have to trim it if I don't want to.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I made a small notch on my bracket to engage the screw hole, with the bracket pushing it down.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>