halem111

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2003
i wanted to format my hard drive and reinstall xp. So naturally i inserted the xp disk and followed the screens.
when i got to the partition screen i pressed D to try and delete the partition, it said it couldnt delete it due to temp files being on there.
so then i tried pressing C to create new partiton but that didnt work either.
how do i format my HD when installin xp thanks

athlon 2500
512mb corsair xms 3200
radeon 9800np
80 gig hd

xyz

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2002
You don't need to delete the partition. When prompted to select a partition to install XP onto, select C:, press Enter. On the next screen you'll be offered the option of formating C: drive.

<font color=red><i>"All delays are dangerous in war."</font color=red></i>

halem111

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2003
for some reason i dont get that screen. The screen i get is the one about installing two operating systems on one harddrive, and the option to replace my current windows by pressing 'L'. After that it carries on removing the old windows files and starts installing windows again.

athlon 2500
512mb corsair xms 3200
radeon 9800np
80 gig hd

bjpatrick

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2004
Well, there is another way to format your hard disk. Fair warning! You will lose all of your data on that hard drive.

Go here:
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Download a 98 bootdisk. Boot off the floppy.

When you get to the command line

fdisk/mbr
format C:
or
format c:

That is if your hard drive is C:

If you get any crap from the format command then fdisk all those partitions. <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by bjpatrick on 10/06/04 12:06 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

I usually prefer deleting the partition, as almost every time that I haven't, I ended up having to edit the boot.ini to get rid of the multi-boot menu.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
You should be able to delete/remake any partition with fdisk. If for some reason it still doesn't do it just delete the partitions from a linux boot disk.
Linux doesn't mind killing windows :)

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>