Keep current brand for dual channel or get 2 new?

sirak

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2003
I asked this on the memory board, but no one responded. It relates to the motherboard and more people post here. Can anyone help me? Here is the question:

I have been building my current system in piecemeal fashion. I have a PIV 2.4c @ 2.9ghz, an ASUS PIV800 MB, and some cheap (Elixir brand) 512 mb PC3200 RAM. I want to upgrade to 1gig of PC3200 running in dual channel mode (2x512mb). I can either get another stick of the cheap stuff for ~$70 or I could scrap the old RAM and get two good, new sticks of something like Geil or Kingston. So far the cheap RAM has actually worked just fine, even overclocking. My question is whether I would see a noticeable performance boost if I had 1gig of Kingston compared to 1gig of Elixir, assuming both worked without any trouble in dual channel mode. Thanks for the help.

I have some elixyr pc3500, and I would recommend you find another elixyr stick. Mine runs fine up to 426, depending on the mobo. I've read more negative posts about kingston than any other memory brand. You won't see any real performance boost with another brand of memory. I wouldn't switch unless you find a buyer for your elixyr.

sirak

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2003
Thanks for the information - yeah, I think that as long as it works just fine (which it has, even OCed quite a bit) I might as well just buy another stick.

jammydodger

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2001
I have some elixyr pc3500, and I would recommend you find another elixyr stick. Mine runs fine up to 426, depending on the mobo.
errr...surly PC3500 should be able to run at 433Mhz no problem? If it cant get to the speed its rated for, y are you recommending it?

[Insert witty comment here]