Spdy_Gonzales

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2001
I currently have a Asus CUSL2-C with P3 1.0Mg, and WinME. Starting to have problem lately - often at startup tells me I have wrong processor speed, frequent blue screens, and other anoyances. Had this system a couple of years, so rather than fiddle with it, it's time to upgrade to a P4 and WinXP. I would appreciate some guidance on selecting a new system board. Thanks

"If it weren't for the last minute, alot of things wouldn't get done"

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Easy, buy the Abit IS7.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Spdy_Gonzales

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2001
Thanks for your suggestion Crashman. One review on the Abit IS7 indicated a potential problem with Low Latency TwinX memory modules. What manufacturer/version of memory should I go with to avoid potential problems?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Corsair fixed the problem by changing the SPD values from 2-2-2-5 to 2-2-2-6.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Easy to recommend going with crucial.com, as their memory uses more conservative timings to insure stability. Corsair recommends PC3500, which in reality is top quality PC3200 at slightly increased latency (to insure stability).

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Hehe, I like having a GB of RAM.

JP5

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003
I have OCZ PC3200 in my IS7, works fine (but only overclocks to 220-225 or so). You can get sweet deals on any brand 3200 now that everybody wants 4000+.

Spdy_Gonzales

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2001
In some reviews of the IS7 it is indicated that it is only RAID 0 capable while at others it says it is RAID 0/1 capable (even at the Abit web site they are inconsistent). Does anyone know the story on this? With hard dives having come down considerably in price, it would be nice to have the mirror capability.