Civilization V Coming This Fall

michaelmk86

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2008
Latest installment in Firaxis Games' PC strategy series will sport new engine, hexagonal tiles, in-game community hub when it launches this fall.
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=235506

screenshot_226992.jpg

screenshot_226994.jpg

purplerat

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
Sweet!

I hope they don't completely remove spearman defeating tanks either. It actually adds a level of realism to the game where under certain conditions a technologically inferior unit can take down a superior foe. Just look at the current US wars in Iraq and Afghanistan to see that happening. It adds a lot to the game because you can't just rely on technological superiority to overrun ever enemy.

Ever hear of "Veterin Spearmen on a hill beats tank"?

Spearmen: Str 3
Tank: Str 32

Spearmen gets the following (assumes on a hill with fort; fortified for at least 3 turns):

3x Bonus against calvary [STR = 9]
+50% defense modifier for fotifying for 3 turns [STR = 13.5]
+50% defense for being on fort [STR = 20.25]
+33% hills defense [STR = 27]
+20% STR bonus for veteriny [STR = 32.4]/40% STR bonus for elite [STR = 37.8]

Plus others I can't remember right now; stacking traits add up quickly [and the order makes a big difference, I and fail to recall in what order STR is stacked; I also forgot the exact bonus for forts, so I assumed 50%. I play a lot of mods now, so other values may be off, but you get the idea...]

The best way to handle this [and one mod for Civ4 did exactly this] is attach an "Age" to each unit [Ancient, Bronze, Iron, etc]. When facing a later edge unit, the attacker gains a massive bonus [50% for one age, 100% for two ages, 200% for three ages, etc]. So while an old unit would have a chance against a unit one age later, the Spearmen v tank will finally be setteled.