Civilization V Coming This Fall

Latest installment in Firaxis Games' PC strategy series will sport new engine, hexagonal tiles, in-game community hub when it launches this fall.
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=235506

4 answers Last reply
More about civilization coming fall
  1. And with any luck some sort of justification of how in the last game Swordsmen could take out helicopter gunships ??
  2. Sweet!

I hope they don't completely remove spearman defeating tanks either. It actually adds a level of realism to the game where under certain conditions a technologically inferior unit can take down a superior foe. Just look at the current US wars in Iraq and Afghanistan to see that happening. It adds a lot to the game because you can't just rely on technological superiority to overrun ever enemy.
  3. ulysses35 said:
    And with any luck some sort of justification of how in the last game Swordsmen could take out helicopter gunships ??

Ever hear of "Veterin Spearmen on a hill beats tank"?

Spearmen: Str 3
    Tank: Str 32

Spearmen gets the following (assumes on a hill with fort; fortified for at least 3 turns):

3x Bonus against calvary [STR = 9]
    +50% defense modifier for fotifying for 3 turns [STR = 13.5]
    +50% defense for being on fort [STR = 20.25]
    +33% hills defense [STR = 27]
    +20% STR bonus for veteriny [STR = 32.4]/40% STR bonus for elite [STR = 37.8]

Plus others I can't remember right now; stacking traits add up quickly [and the order makes a big difference, I and fail to recall in what order STR is stacked; I also forgot the exact bonus for forts, so I assumed 50%. I play a lot of mods now, so other values may be off, but you get the idea...]

The best way to handle this [and one mod for Civ4 did exactly this] is attach an "Age" to each unit [Ancient, Bronze, Iron, etc]. When facing a later edge unit, the attacker gains a massive bonus [50% for one age, 100% for two ages, 200% for three ages, etc]. So while an old unit would have a chance against a unit one age later, the Spearmen v tank will finally be setteled.
  4. Wow, not only did I understand this, but I also LoLed because of it.
Ask a new question

Read More

PC gaming Engine Games Video Games