Cell dropped calls not bad enough, now it's landline dropp..

Since I've been attempting for close to three years, off and on, to
resolve the high rate of dropped calls over VZW, we started seeing a
new behavior. Now landline to landline calls are being dropped too.
I'm wondering if cell calls don't have to transport over to the local
landline provider at some point to be transmitted. Maybe my dropped
call problem isn't so much Verizon, but the local telco who can't seem
to upgrade their lines, among other things.

If it's Verizon Comm. then most likely it's just the company. No reason to
spend the money to upgrade when they're charging the highest prices known to
man.

On 24 Jul 2004 06:26:17 -0700, momcat_one@yahoo.com (momcat1) wrote:

>Since I've been attempting for close to three years, off and on, to
>resolve the high rate of dropped calls over VZW, we started seeing a
>new behavior. Now landline to landline calls are being dropped too.
>I'm wondering if cell calls don't have to transport over to the local
>landline provider at some point to be transmitted. Maybe my dropped
>call problem isn't so much Verizon, but the local telco who can't seem
>to upgrade their lines, among other things.

Yes, at some point many cell calls do use land lines (especially if
you are calling a land line;-)), but "dropping" a land line to land
line call is a sure sign of cable or equipment problems between you
and your CO. IOW, the two issues are likely unrelated.

This may sound trite, but have you checked the connections to your
phones? Most often, I find those connections to be the problem.

I would agree.

Home landlines are usually analog ( last mile ) where carrier trunk lines
are digital ( DS-3, etc ).
While it's perceivable that the main switch in your part of town/city is
having severe issues, more than likely, calls getting dropped are usually
loss of radio signal between handset and cellsite or a cellsite that has
reached capacity.

Landline drops can be a bunch of different things as well.
Bad lightning protector at your home, or incorrect tip&ring ( inside
jacks/outside NID not wired right ), or too many phones on the same line
and/or one is bad (shorted), or if your local telco has a voice multiplexer
that is going bad, or bad line card on the switch, or microwave trunks not
aligned correctly or physical obstruction between the two points, and on and
on, any of which could cause dropped calls.

Scotty

"The Ghost of General Lee" <ghost@general.lee> wrote in message
> On 24 Jul 2004 06:26:17 -0700, momcat_one@yahoo.com (momcat1) wrote:
>
> >Since I've been attempting for close to three years, off and on, to
> >resolve the high rate of dropped calls over VZW, we started seeing a
> >new behavior. Now landline to landline calls are being dropped too.
> >I'm wondering if cell calls don't have to transport over to the local
> >landline provider at some point to be transmitted. Maybe my dropped
> >call problem isn't so much Verizon, but the local telco who can't seem
> >to upgrade their lines, among other things.
>
> Yes, at some point many cell calls do use land lines (especially if
> you are calling a land line;-)), but "dropping" a land line to land
> line call is a sure sign of cable or equipment problems between you
> and your CO. IOW, the two issues are likely unrelated.
>
> This may sound trite, but have you checked the connections to your
> phones? Most often, I find those connections to be the problem.

Verizon is NOT our local provider.

"Killer Madness" <killermo@cnet.com> wrote in message news:<csGMc.12480$sK4.5757@fe32.usenetserver.com>...
> If it's Verizon Comm. then most likely it's just the company. No reason to
> spend the money to upgrade when they're charging the highest prices known to
> man.
>
> "momcat1" <momcat_one@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Since I've been attempting for close to three years, off and on, to
> > resolve the high rate of dropped calls over VZW, we started seeing a
> > new behavior. Now landline to landline calls are being dropped too.
> > I'm wondering if cell calls don't have to transport over to the local
> > landline provider at some point to be transmitted. Maybe my dropped
> > call problem isn't so much Verizon, but the local telco who can't seem
> > to upgrade their lines, among other things.

Been there, done that.

On 26 Jul 2004 17:32:15 -0700, momcat_one@yahoo.com (momcat1) wrote:

>Been there, done that.

Then keep reporting the trouble to your local telco, and if it isn't
resolved in a month or so, contact your state's PCS/PUC or equivalent.
But before you do, make damn sure all of your equipment is in good
shape. If the problem happens with some regularity, like once a day or
so, unplug one (and only one) device for a while. If the problem
continues, plug that device back in and unplug something else until
you run out of devices (then bitch at the telco) or the trouble
clears. Make certain to do this with anything that plugs into a phone
jack, including phones, faxes, computers, caller IDs, satellite/cable
receivers, etc.

Then post this garbage that has nothing to do with Verizon some where else
idiot.

> Verizon is NOT our local provider.
>
> "Killer Madness" <killermo@cnet.com> wrote in message
> > If it's Verizon Comm. then most likely it's just the company. No reason
> > spend the money to upgrade when they're charging the highest prices
known to
> > man.
> >
> > "momcat1" <momcat_one@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > Since I've been attempting for close to three years, off and on, to
> > > resolve the high rate of dropped calls over VZW, we started seeing a
> > > new behavior. Now landline to landline calls are being dropped too.
> > > I'm wondering if cell calls don't have to transport over to the local
> > > landline provider at some point to be transmitted. Maybe my dropped
> > > call problem isn't so much Verizon, but the local telco who can't seem
> > > to upgrade their lines, among other things.

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 14:15:00 -0400, "Killer Madness"
<killermo@cnet.com> wrote:

>Then post this garbage that has nothing to do with Verizon some where else
>idiot.

Hey Killer, how about dropping a valium, will ya? He was speculating
on the possibility of a connection between the dropped calls on his
land line and VZW line. Maybe a tad off topic, but at least it shows
his brain is in gear. He got his info, I'm sure you won't be bothered
by it any further.