hubris471

Distinguished
May 31, 2001
I have just bought the following equipment:
Abit NF7-S V 2.0 Mobo, Athlon 2500+ Barton, Corsair Twinx1024-3200c2pt 1GB XMS3200 Dual Channel Memory.

I will be adding a Leadtek GeForce FX 5900 Video Card, 128MB DDR, DVI/VIVO, 8X AGP, "A350 TDH MYVIVO", and then placing it in an Antec 1040B-II case with three fans, and some drives.

I'd like to know where to start for setting all my FSB, Multipliers, Cas latencies and voltages. I would then work my way up to a maximum(?) value. I would like to do this without modding, and for the moment without buying aftermarket coolers.

Any suggestions about over clocking my setup is appreciated.

Leave your memory timings on spd to start. Look in your voltage and frequency section of the bios (may be named something else) and see what the default cpu vcore is (probably about 1.5 for your barton). Increase it by .05 volts (example: 1.5 changed to 1.55). Then, change your cpu fsb from 166 (default) to 200, save and exit, and see if your system runs stable for awhile. If it doesn't post, increase the cpu vcore to 1.6, and try again. Some people test their overclocking for stability with prime 95. Also, be sure you have a hardware monitor program that works while running windows. Your abit board should come with one on the drivers cd. Check your temps, and see how high they rise when overclocking. Your barton temps should range from about 40 to 60 celcius, depending on the inside case temp and accuracy of your monitor program. Finally, you can start adjusting your memory timings after you get a stable setting for the cpu and voltage. I only use the case 2.5 setting when overclocking, but some try for case 2. Others will reply, I'm sure.