SY-K8USA DRAGON Ultra BLACK

pat

Expert
This board is based on AMD/ALI chipset. I dont know how good it compares to nvidia/VIA based boards. Based on previous experience with SOYO Dragon motherboard (K7V Dragon+ kt266a), this could be my next board if I decide to upgrade. Found one review ...
<A HREF="http://www.ocworkbench.com/2003/soyo/k8usa%20dragon%20ultra/k8usadragonultra-1.htm" target="_new">Board review</A>

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by pat on 01/26/04 10:51 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
How soon are you planning to buy? I believe nvidia are fairly shortly going to release a revised A64 nforce chipset, nforce3 250.

Judging by how good the nforce2 chipset is compared to all the other Socket A chipsets, it might be worth waiting a little while to see what they can come up with.

If you must buy now though, a VIA K8T800 chipset is currently the best performer, e.g. a Gigabyte K8VNXP, but let's just say if I found out my plane's autopilot was running on anything made by VIA, I'd take a boat.

---
<font color=red>Those of you who think you know everything are annoying to those of us who do.</font color=red> :wink:

pat

Expert
I'm not in a hurry to upgrade...My current nforce2 setup is running good...well too good. No crash, no problem,... nothing to do on it..dull! But from what I've read in the review, this chipset is not too bad, better in most case than current A64 chipset. I will probably wait to see what nvidia will have to offer thou

JP5

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003
Yes, nforce 3 might be a great option. I'll be anxious to see if it will have even better onboard sound--epspecially now that Intel will be updating AC-97.

- edited for crappy spelling -

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by jp5 on 01/26/04 11:30 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

pat

Expert
Got your post by e-mail...you were right about crappy spelling ;-) But didnt notice that at first time.

It makes me think about an e-mail I've got one time about how the brain, as long as the first and last letter of common word were placed where they are suppose to be, could reassemble the word even if the other letter were mixed. So, just put the frsit and lsat lteter wehre tehy are spupsoed to be and poelpe shluod be able to raed waht you worte! Well ..

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
All lies, you should actually read that review, the K8USA is the second fastest board tested only behind the SiS755 reference platform.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Well, ALi has been behind so long I don't know what to think. I remember the MAGiK 1 had a lot of promise but went nowhere. At least it's not VIA! BTW, the SiS 755 chipset is out now, but only on the ECS 755-A.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
I started to read it, but got distracted by something else, plus the pop-up per page got irritating.

I stand corrected on the best performer there... SIS seem to make fairly solidly performing stuff these days. they should shout about it more. Or at least get mobo manus to make mid-high end boards with their chipsets.

I would still wait to see what nvidia can come up with though.

You really don't like VIA, do you? I'm no great fan of them myself, but it seems like real loathing on your part.. :smile:

---
<font color=red>Those of you who think you know everything are annoying to those of us who do.</font color=red> :wink:

pat

Expert
I'd like to see board manufaturer like abit or asus to start using the SIS chipset. This way, we could have fair comparaison.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Loathing? Well, VIA did kill my father. But seriously, VIA's lies have made me look bad with customers, that's bad for business, it cost me money.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Eh, Asus has a spotty history with SiS, their P4S8X was the worst 648 board on the market.

pat

Expert
I'm not really informed about P4 mobo, neither about P4 chipset. Can you give me a small resume about asus/sis648 adventure?

Thanks!

pat

Expert
Ok..I finally found some threads about asus/sis problem...it helps when you actually search the in the right forum....I wasn't quite there I guess ...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Sorry, I'm really bad at searching old articles, I don't remember the site names.

Basically the 648 was designed for DDR400 and AGP8x. Asus's board turned out so poorly SiS removed their DDR400 designation. And most people couldn't run AGP8x stably.

A site decided to investigate the problem and it turned out to be caused by a sloppy redesign of the memory traces. You see, SiS specified the traces had to be close to equal length, so Asus used a previous design and put squiggly lines with square corners in the shorter traces to make them longer. Unfortunately the corners add capacitance, memory is capacitive, and problems resulted. I believe the AGP problems were caused by AGP access to the memory bus, which was hampered by this poor design.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, Asus cost SiS quite a bit of reputation on the P4S8X. Gigabyte had a solid SiS 648 board.

pat

Expert
Wasn't that <A HREF="http://www.overclockers.com/articles686/index03.asp" target="_new">site</A>?

I found that searching this afternoon.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, that was the site where the bulk of my information on the P4S8X came from. Again it's important for me to stress that Asus, a Tier 1 supplier, made a junk board. And since most users believe Asus is infalable, they blamed SiS for an Asus problem.

pat

Expert
Easy for a big name with good reputation to put the blame on a small one. If other board company could make good board with this chipset, I guess that people were smart enough to draw their own conclusion..or were they?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You must not be old enough to realize this yet: All people are stupid. Yes, even you and me. The fact that we're less biased is what sets us apart from the even more idiotic stupid people.

pat

Expert
It is not that I'm not old enough, I just try to keep faith in humanity!!! hard work thou ... Worst, many of them are still allowed to reproduce!