Four Fans and Only Three Connections

thusband

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2003
I'm interested in the Abit IS7 board but I think it only has three fan connections. My case has four fans. How do I handle that? Are there splitters or something that would double up the fans?

Thanks,

Tom

thusband

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2003
Right. I see that now. How about the exhaust fan in the back? It only has a small three position socket. That must plug into the board as there's nothing out of the power supply that could connect to it.

Thanks for your help. I bet I'll have more dumb questions.

Tom

RCPilot

Champion
The case fan on the back of the case, should have a connector for the PSU. Mine have that one & the small one also. The small on I put on the board because it usually has only the rotation pin in it. Then I can read the rotation both on the boards monitor & in BIOS.

If you look at your manual you'll see that the small connector on the board go + ROTATION -. The plus & minus may be the other way depending on your board. If your pins are like that, you could plug one of them into the board. I wouldn't recommend it though. I've never had a fan running off the board & I've built a sh=t load of them. I don't think it's good practice.

The only dumb question is the one that's not asked IMO

Dazzle them with Brilliance, or Baffle them with BS! :wink:

DCB_AU

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2002
Be careful, don't overload your power supply with too many fans.

Check the current draw of your fans against the available supply.

If you overload the psu, beside the fact that you could burn it out, you'll drop the voltage to the mainboard and cause operation problems.

<font color=red>DCB</font color=red><font color=white>_</font color=white><font color=blue>AU</font color=blue>

thusband

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2003
Good point. The case has four fans at 12V and 0.12A each. The power supply is a Fortron 350W ATX 12V. I'll be using an Abit IS7 board with a P4 2.6GHz. Think that's enough?

Thanks again,

Tom