Sign in with
Your question

FPS drops every 1 or 2 seconds

Last response: in Video Games
Anonymous
February 22, 2010 4:14:57 AM

Hi guys i hope u can help me out,

I just bought a new computer, it may not be the best in the world but i had budget limits.

MSI g31 board
ECS geforce 9500gt 1gb ddr3
RAM 2 gd dynet 800mhz
intel E5300 dual core 206 ghz
psu 500W +12V 16A

it not very good but it should be more than enough to run games like Batman Arkham Asylum, Operation Flashpoint Dragon Rising at 1024 x 768 in medium or even high graphics detail but when ever i play the games the fps drops every 2 seconds like the game pauses in that interval. games playable but it is not at all fun to like this. please help......i have no idea what to do....

More about : fps drops seconds

February 22, 2010 6:30:42 AM

First thing to do, and apologies if you've already done this, is ensure you're running the latest drivers for everything. Have a look on nVidia's website to find the latest for your 9500GT, and on MSI's website for the latest chipset drivers and BIOS for your motherboard. That will ensure your PC is running as well as it can.

That being said, the 9500GT was never meant as a gaming card and so you will find yourself limited by that. It's perfect for Blu-Ray and DVD playing, and videos and youtube won't give it any grief at all, but modern games are a different story.

If you have a look over Tomshardware's latest graphics card comparison: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/best-gaming-graphics-card... you'll see the 9500GT leaves you a lot of options to upgrade to. I think you might well find that you're going to have to sell the 9500GT and purchase an upgraded card if you want to run these games anywhere near their potential. In your shoes, I'd be looking for an ATI 4670 (about £50) or if you want to stick with nVidia a 9800GT or even a 9600GT, or for a second hand 8800GT.

Good luck.
Anonymous
February 22, 2010 7:25:09 AM

thanks stu, though i have tried and i still have the latest drivers for my card i havnt looked up for drivers or BIOS for my mother board......the card is not a gaming card i kno but the same card does wonders for my friend.....i about to update my drivers now....thanx for the advice......
Related resources
February 22, 2010 7:39:40 AM

Quote:
thanks stu, though i have tried and i still have the latest drivers for my card i havnt looked up for drivers or BIOS for my mother board......the card is not a gaming card i kno but the same card does wonders for my friend.....i about to update my drivers now....thanx for the advice......

If the card works for your friend, find out what drivers/settings he's using and copy them! :) 

Make sure you use the graphics drivers from nVidia's website, not ECS's - just looked and theirs are dated 2008/2009 (depending on your OS) so improvements will have been made since these came out.
February 22, 2010 7:56:22 AM

Have you got many background lasks running? A sudden virus scan, or scheduled defrag can knock a game for 6. even programs deciding to check for updates can take a noticable toll.
Anonymous
February 22, 2010 3:04:18 PM

thanks everyone for your advice, stu ill be trying that out soon.....and i have a correction to the main statement i made.......its not actually an fps drop, its like the game freezes for a fraction of a second, every 1-2 seconds.......mi1ez, i have tried running games with minimal background programs in XP as well as windows 7 but its still the same.......ive tried almost everything, but nothing has helped so far........im beginning to think there is something wrong with my card........hope this problem is solved soon, im desperate to play GTA4, any more suggestions are welcome......
February 23, 2010 11:27:02 AM

how are your temperatures looking? CPU/GPU?

Stable PSU? what brand?
!