Win98se/Reboot/No-CD-Rom

G

Just recently, I have been having terrible trouble with Windows not seeing my CD-Rom Drive and/or CD Drivers,when installing Win98se,and even after install is complete. I am forced to power down and then power up, to get Windows to see it. The Bios see's it everytime, just not Windows. This is really frustrating. I've never run into this before. But on the last 2 or 3 systems I've worked on, this has been the problem everytime. That makes no sense to me. I have run every kind of Virus program and have none. The only other thing I can think of that would be the same or similar, would be the possibility of all systems having AMI Bios. 2 of the systems are gone already, so I'm not sure about which Bios they had, but fairly sure they used AMI. But, Bios is seeing the CD Rom Drive. And as long as I power down everytime, it's no problem. But, then I have to stay glued to the screen while 98 installs, as I must manually shut down and reboot, or the whole process goes awry. I've even used different 98se disks to see if maybe mine had a glitch on it. But it didn't matter, they all did the same thing. I could really use some advice here.
Thanks,
Bob Estell

hammerhead

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
So this just happens during Windows setup and everything's fine after Windows is completely installed?

I had a similar problem. Windows setup would detect peripherals before it had loaded it's own CDROM driver, thus preventing you from installing a driver from CDROM, including the Windows CD! Doh!

I just cancelled the driver installation then rebooted after the desktop loaded.

Seems to depend on what hardware you have installed.

I'm sure someone else can give a better explanation!

G

Check out these articles on the Microsoft web site. I believe they may help you out in your quandry with your CDROM not being detected?

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q151/5/50.asp?LN=EN-US&SD=gn&FR=0&qry=Why isn't my CDROM drive visible?&rnk=18&src=DHCS_MSPSS_gn_SRCH&SPR=W98

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q134/5/32.asp?LN=EN-US&SD=gn&FR=0&qry=Why isn't my CDROM drive visible?&rnk=12&src=DHCS_MSPSS_gn_SRCH&SPR=W98

Motivation is half the battle to success..personal intiative completes the process..:)

icxcnika

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2001
Sounds like you got a worthwhile problem. Are you trying to install 98se or just run it? If install, go into your Bios and slect the boot method CDROM, C, A. It is probably at A, C, SCSI setting right now. Then when you boot your computer, have the disc in the computer, and that might fix something.

TRENDING THREADS