  • Video Games
Last response: in PC Gaming
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 6:15:44 PM

Tonight I (using a necro) and a friend (using a paladin) plan to take our
chances with the uber-3.

The necro is equipped pretty well. Enigma, Shako, Homonculous, Arm of King
Loric, 2 Sojs', Arachnids, Trangs gloves, Maras ammy and Marrow Walks. Call
to Arms (only 1 BO) on switch.
The might merc has an Obediance Pole arm, Bramble armor, and Andarials
Vissage helm.

Skills are - maxed Skellies, Mages, Skeleton Mastery
high CE (no use here I've heard)
14 or 15 revives
all curses but Confuse and Attract

The plan was to teleport in on one of the three, life tap/decrep as
situation demands. Then try to dim vision or terror the many minions.

I've never opened the portal, but have collected the body parts without
much difficulty.

If the paladin is in support we were thinking of using salvation (high
resist aura). If we manage to find a second paladin to join us, he'd
probably use fanatacism.

Any thoughts?

Rod

More about : suggestions necro facing uber

Anonymous
August 18, 2005 6:15:45 PM

Rod Runnheim wrote:
> Tonight I (using a necro) and a friend (using a paladin) plan to take our
> chances with the uber-3.
>
> The necro is equipped pretty well. Enigma, Shako, Homonculous, Arm of King
> Loric, 2 Sojs', Arachnids, Trangs gloves, Maras ammy and Marrow Walks. Call
> to Arms (only 1 BO) on switch.
> The might merc has an Obediance Pole arm, Bramble armor, and Andarials
> Vissage helm.
>
> Skills are - maxed Skellies, Mages, Skeleton Mastery
> high CE (no use here I've heard)
> 14 or 15 revives
> all curses but Confuse and Attract
>
> The plan was to teleport in on one of the three, life tap/decrep as
> situation demands. Then try to dim vision or terror the many minions.
>
> I've never opened the portal, but have collected the body parts without
> much difficulty.
>

> If the paladin is in support we were thinking of using salvation (high
> resist aura). If we manage to find a second paladin to join us, he'd
> probably use fanatacism.
>
> Any thoughts?

One that comes to mind right away. I would start the game and run down
to the River of Flame. If there are no bugs, rinse and repeat. If there
are, make sure you get a bunch of eggs hatched. Then go after the
ubers, and when the kill off a batch of skels/revives, you can run back
to the RoF, blow up some bugs, remake ye olde army and return to the
fight.

Mickey

You can never have too much lag - Zamboni
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 1:41:35 PM

Thanks for both of your suggestions. I think I heard you mention opening
the cow level before -- forgot to do that, but will next time!

> After facing the trio twice I personally would choose a pally every time.
> However, your plan may work, especially if you have a fanatacism pally
> with you.

Ended up using 2 pally's. First time in he forgot to use salvation (was
using conviction) and my revives and skellies went down too fast. Almost
had him anyway, except the second paladin was under-equipped and kept dying.
Second try I teleported on top of him to deposit the hoard, and still no
salvation. All three of us died in about 2 seconds. Third try it was all
worked out. My merc has obediance -- thus crushing blow. He and all the
skellies weathered the fight and down went meph.

Turns out some of the monsters that drop are reviveable -- if they leave
a corpse that is. So I revived some and we went straight to Diablo. He
went down without a fuss -- thank you again crushing blow merc.

From what I've heard, Baal was supposed to be fairly easy, thing was he
kept teleporting away after leaving a screen full of fire balling vampires.
To prevent problems later, we would clean them up, then start all over with
Baal...

My necro died only once, vs. meph, so all in all it went pretty well. I
handled the minions by using terror and dim vision a lot. When the screen
go too thick we'd take a time out and clean it up, then go back to beating
on a boss.

> I would open a portal to the moo moo farm and use that to get your
> revives. It can be handy simply because the distance you have to go from
> the portal to get them isn't far enough for them to lag behind and
> disappear. Oh, just re-read, you have Enigma, you can tele-hop with them
> so you don't lose them. That's always good (say's he who's never been able
> to afford Enigma) to keep them up with you and prevent losses.

Believe it or not, I got my enigma for an Ohm -- that was my lucky find.
I got the bramble by trading body parts (which are easy to get with
patience).

> The secret to your sucess is going to be hard-hitting revives, good
> cummunication and the Salvation aura until uber meph goes down so it pays
> to target him first. Unfortunately both times I've been there the other
> two are the first ones you encounter with meph waiting in the wings, just
> close enough to have his uber-nasty aura drop your resists by ~125%. I
> suggest good connumication, frequent use of the portal, (Difficult as the
> denizens are very fast and tend to follow you to the portal and wait there
> for your return. You know you can't cast TP's down there right? There's
> only the one way in-out) and getting fresh revives if/when yours
> vapourise. I'm pretty sure there's no way you'll take out all three with
> one lot of revives and you'll have to co-ordinate your return trips with
> the pally so he doesn't get left all alone and get swamped.

Above proved to be VERY true -- as we found out the hard way. Eventually
two of us figured out how to work together and the third died, and died, and
died.... :-)

> Once Meph is disposed of the pally can change from Salvation to something
> more apt for attack. Another good idea for revives could be to clear the
> CS right up to the seal where the infector appears. His minions are good
> for the speed even though they don't deal much damage. Although, with
> Enigma that might not be so important. For damage you want Urdars I find,
> they seem to have crushing blow. Or Yetis for their stun. I would for sure
> check out the places I'm going to get revives from first, have some places
> ready. I think you're going to have to go back and forth quite a bit. That
> is the difficult part as the portal gets "trapped" once you've used it as
> an escape route once. Maybe if you have arelatively lag-free game you can
> instantly tele away once you get there. (Although I found I always got a
> second or two lag going down the portal even in a good game, a second or
> two is a lot in uber tristram)

Good call on the revive types. I heard that from Mickey in a post
somewhere and did look for them. Made the bad decision of opening the
portal before scoping out the monster lay out though and didn't find many.

> Don't under-estimate how frantic it is there. Make sure you and your
> team-mate(s) have good communication worked out. You don't have time to
> write long messages. A few pre-arranged code-letters may be in order?

Yah -- good idea. Would have saved the pally's a lot of deaths.

> Good luck, sock it to 'em. :-)

Next time I may go solo....but then Meph might cook me quick!

Rod
August 21, 2005 2:54:45 PM

~misfit~ wrote:

(Content snipped to save bandwidth)

> Don't under-estimate how frantic it is there. Make sure you and your
> team-mate(s) have good communication worked out. You don't have time to
> write long messages. A few pre-arranged code-letters may be in order?
>
> Good luck, sock it to 'em. :-)

This is a good situation for using a voice chat program like Teamspeak.
It allows you to communicate instantly without typing. The GW guild I
belong to uses this program to coordinate our team in the missions in GW
and it is a great help. I've included a link to the Teamspeak website
for anyone interested in this.

http://www.goteamspeak.com/news.php

Good luck in your Uber hunt.

Steellord
Anonymous
August 21, 2005 6:41:54 PM

"Turns out some of the monsters that drop are reviveable -- if they
leave
a corpse that is."

Pit Lords (the ones that protects Diablo) can be revive and they are
very effective. Since they are immunes to everything, they are great
even if Meph is still alive!

Louis
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 7:40:30 PM

After going to <http://tinyurl.com/2tnqw&gt;
Steel Lord <steellord@wowway.com> wrote

>~misfit~ wrote:
>
>(Content snipped to save bandwidth)
>
>> Don't under-estimate how frantic it is there. Make sure you and your
>> team-mate(s) have good communication worked out. You don't have time to
>> write long messages. A few pre-arranged code-letters may be in order?
>>
>> Good luck, sock it to 'em. :-)
>
>This is a good situation for using a voice chat program like Teamspeak.
>It allows you to communicate instantly without typing. The GW guild I
>belong to uses this program to coordinate our team in the missions in GW
>and it is a great help. I've included a link to the Teamspeak website
>for anyone interested in this.
>
>http://www.goteamspeak.com/news.php

Voice chat in games doesn't always help. For proof, I give you this link which
was posted in AGD2:

http://hem.bredband.net/b222680/leeroy.wmv

What's worse is that leeroy has become famous (why else would somebody make a
song about him?):

http://pages.prodigy.net/lordt6/leeroy_technomix.MP3
--
no, i didn't forget the 'F's
http://www.geocities.com/jerk_o2002

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 15:40:30 GMT, jerk-o <jerk-o@yomomma.org> wrote:

>After going to <http://tinyurl.com/2tnqw&gt;
>Steel Lord <steellord@wowway.com> wrote
>
>>~misfit~ wrote:
>>
>>(Content snipped to save bandwidth)
>>
>>> Don't under-estimate how frantic it is there. Make sure you and your
>>> team-mate(s) have good communication worked out. You don't have time to
>>> write long messages. A few pre-arranged code-letters may be in order?
>>>
>>> Good luck, sock it to 'em. :-)
>>
>>This is a good situation for using a voice chat program like Teamspeak.
>>It allows you to communicate instantly without typing. The GW guild I
>>belong to uses this program to coordinate our team in the missions in GW
>>and it is a great help. I've included a link to the Teamspeak website
>>for anyone interested in this.
>>
>>http://www.goteamspeak.com/news.php
>
>Voice chat in games doesn't always help. For proof, I give you this link which
>was posted in AGD2:
>
>http://hem.bredband.net/b222680/leeroy.wmv
>
>What's worse is that leeroy has become famous (why else would somebody make a
>song about him?):
>
>http://pages.prodigy.net/lordt6/leeroy_technomix.MP3

You have a point there, and I've seen the Leroy Jenkins vid. I believe
that to be a rare case though. It was quite funny actually.

Steellord