Upgrade Dilema?

MadGTI

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2004
1)

I am having a problem deciding which motherboard is the better choice?

Abit IC7-G Max2 or the Asus P4C800 Deluxe ?

Keep in mind OverClocking maybe needed in the future.

I will definitly be running raid 0 with 2 160 GB Hard Drives.

2)

I am having problem deciding which SATA 160GB Hard Drive to buy? BY the way i can't afford raptors and i also need the space.

I am kind of leaning towards Western Digital. I have a seagate now but the Western Digital seems quieter.

Opionions and Experiences welcome.

Thanks

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
1.) Abit's boards have a better voltage regulator for the CPU, but the P4C800 might have a slightly more forgiving memory controller. I suggest the Abit IS7. Look at Anandtech's old motherboard comparison, the IS7 is one of the fastest boards they tested, it overclocks great, includes the ICH5R SATA RAID controller, and cost only $92! What I'm telling you is that it can't be noticably beat by ANY board at ANY price, and includes most of the features of more expensive boards.

2) Western Digital has an SATA version of their special edition drives, it's mechanically the same as the 1600JB bus has a different letter than J.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

MadGTI

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2004
Assuming money wasn't an issue, and your only 2 options were either Abit IC7-G or the Asus P4C800 Deluxe?

I am building a pc for my bro so i was wondering if it is worth swapping out my IC7-G for the Asus P4C800 Deluxe

Thanks for the help on the Western Digital. I guess i will be getting a new Western Digital160 Gig X 2 :)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Hmm, a board that's known to be fussy about RAM, against a board that's known to have a slightly flaky VRM, I'd say toss a coin.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>