IS7 and blue screen

tjchino

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2003
i've had a problem that i haven't been able to resolve and would love some help. recently, put together a video editing comptuer with the following specs:

Abit IS7
Kingston HyperX Series 1GB(512MBx2) PC-3500
P4 2.6c
WD 80gb IDE 7200RPM 8MB WD800JB
WD 120gb sata 7200 WD1200JD 8MB (x2 in raid 0)
PIONEER DVR-106BK DVD+/-RW
LITEON CDRW/DVD 48X24X48X16
Canopus DV Storm 2+
Antec SOHO TOWER SX1040BII w/ 400w psu
win xp pro - sp1a
some extras (usb flash reader, fans, etc)

At first, I was having trouble getting it to load windows, blue screens etc... relaxed memory timings and everything went on fine.

But pretty much since that time, on a fairly regular basis (mind you not regular enough to be able to pinpoint anything - just regular enough to be ultra enoying) it gives me one of a variety of blue screen errors - irql not equal or less, page fault, etc...

I'm sort of at a loss. Just when I think I've tweaked all my bios setting just right (vdimm, memory timings, fsb), I'll use for a bit and then it crashes. One fairly common place for it to crash is when Nero is running - not necessarily burning - just open. Ironically, it doesn't crash so much when I'm doing the more intensive memory/processing activities like video editing. More in the day to day stuff. I've checked temps - appear fine. Played with numerous memory settings - none seem to fix it.

Any ideas? I'm at a loss.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Those still sound like memory errors to me, I'd try raising the vDIMM in BIOS to 2.70v.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

tjchino

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2003
i was trying to figure out how far i can raise it. i couldn't quite figure out what kingston site was saying about how high a voltage it supported. do you happen to know?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I have no idea what voltages are officially supported, but any 2.5v module should tolerate 2.7v without damage.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

tjchino

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2003
yes and no...

the memory is 3500, so i upped the bios setting to 216. taking the cpu to 2.8 and running memory 1:1. had the blue screens. so i took it back to stock. still had the problem. i've done as crash suggested, and with the vdimm at 2.7 still have it happen.

i'm starting to think it is either something about the canopus card being in there or something with the sata drives.

i've built several systems, and typically they are rock solid, but the few i've built with sata drives seem to have issues. wondering if anyone has noticed more unstability with sata drives?

thanks for all the input so far, but i'm still in search of stability.