Sign in with
Your question

MSI K7N2 Delta troubles

Last response: in Motherboards
January 28, 2004 8:19:14 PM

You may want to read <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?nam..." target="_new">this</A> first.

Basically I am swapping an ECS K7S5A with an MSI K7N2 Delta L. I powered on the MSI board and it hangs when it gets to detecting IDE drives. Anybody have any answers to this one?

Okay, brain. You don't like me, and I don't like you, but let's get through this thing and then I can continue killing you with beer. -- Homer Simpson.
January 29, 2004 12:31:41 AM

have you tried different memory? run memtest on it? checked the ide cables? made sure of the jumper settings on the hard drive(s) some bios see cable select rather than master slave it seems, had one a few months back like that, but it was an oddball for sure...

Fat, Drunk, and Stupid is no way to go through life Son.
January 29, 2004 1:04:08 AM

I've been putzin' with this thing for hours now. What I've learned so far:

1. I changed HDDs and it no longer hangs
2. The CD-RW (Sony not MSI) is not recognized properly with an 80 pin cable.
3. I'm getting a headache.

Okay, brain. You don't like me, and I don't like you, but let's get through this thing and then I can continue killing you with beer. -- Homer Simpson.
Related resources
January 29, 2004 1:22:53 AM

what model sony cdrw? i have the sony 24X burner and it works great off my 80 pin round cable...bad cable maybe? how is it working other than that? the puter i mean. get all the way into windows? i did something 4 days ago that i SWORE i would NEVER do again......(i reloaded winxp pro on my main system) shhhhhhhh dont tell anybody....i had to, too many customers were wanting it, so i had to put it back on and figure it out so when they have problems, i can assist them....i really hate to see win98se go, i cant play most of my games now:(  but i have an idea, gonna build a win98se gamer rig to play on:) 

Fat, Drunk, and Stupid is no way to go through life Son.
January 29, 2004 1:41:15 AM

Everything seems fine now. However I'm using a crappy old 5400RPM ATA66 8GB HDD. The Sony is one of the older, crappier CD-RWs. I think it's 16X. I'm trying to save this poor person some dough. I'd hate to tell her that she needs a new mobo and HDD in addition to the PSU. I think that dead PSU took a few things with it to the grave.

January 29, 2004 1:34:46 PM

If I'm a betting man, and I am......I'm guessing that the original hard drive that caused it to hang was a Western Digital. It's a known, though not well publicied problem with that particular board.
-Brett
January 29, 2004 11:22:07 PM

Did you try the HD without any jumper for selection installed?

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!
January 30, 2004 1:42:06 AM

Quote:
If I'm a betting man, and I am......I'm guessing that the original hard drive that caused it to hang was a Western Digital. It's a known, though not well publicied problem with that particular board.

It is indeed a Western Digital HDD. I tested it on 2 other machines and it worked fine. I also ran DLDIAG and it tested fine. I haven't read about this but it certainly wouldn't surprise me to find out that there is a compatiblity problem. I'm not and have never been a huge fan of Western Digital.

Quote:
Did you try the HD without any jumper for selection installed?

I tried it with the jumper installed on each pin and without. No dice.

January 30, 2004 1:49:59 AM

Oh, BTW if anyone can provide a link detailing this Western Digital/MSI K7N2 Delta problem (if in fact it does exist) please do so. Thanks.

January 31, 2004 11:03:24 PM

Which model drive is it? I have two of these boards with 80 gig WD Special Edition drives... they seem to work perfectly. Now ya got me worried!

Scout
700 Mflops in SETI!
February 3, 2004 3:45:49 PM

It's just a problem I ran into about a year ago with a couple of guys who upgraded their systems. They both got new Bartons with the MSI board and when we tried to hook up the WD drives...no dice, both cases. They were 30gb BB drives if I remember correctly. I e-mailed MSI, who told me it was Western Digital's problem. Western Digital told me that they were aware that there was an issue, but there was no fix for it currently and that some of the older drives would not work with this board. I wish I still had a copy of the e-mails. We just replaced 'em and sold the old ones on eBay.
-Brett
February 4, 2004 12:54:10 AM

Hmmm. I wonder if it's all of their BB drives. The one I'm having a problem with is a 20GB BB. I too e-mailed MSI. I suppose I'll get the same response as you did.

February 4, 2004 2:17:02 AM

dont forget that the bb serie, if connected alone, without slave, should not have the jumper installed!!! It's written on the drive.

February 4, 2004 9:27:52 AM

With some of the older WD hdds it was necesary to set the parameters manually.
February 5, 2004 2:18:23 PM

Been through all of those fixes and they don't work. I know that 20GB and 30GB BB series Hard Drives will not work with this board. Or at least I haven't heard of one that does.
-Brett
February 6, 2004 1:28:14 AM

You got it smitbret. I tried everything. It just doesn't work. Now the question is, who do you blame? MSI and WD will point the finger at each other. My opinion? It's MSI's fault. The hard drive was here first. The motherboard should support it.

February 9, 2004 2:58:41 PM

With some older WD drives you have to disable "auto" on the IDE and set it manually in the bios, and pull the jumper if WD is alone on primary IDE, and set it to cable select if it's primay as master, and have the other one set to slave if on the same IDE. I use the MSI nforce2 alot, it's the main one I use for AMD builds here in the shop and have absolutely no issues sinnce 2.45 came out from nVIDA, and especially 3.13, but sometimes I have to manually toggle Ultra DMA in the bios. maybe you should try another IDE cable or check for bent pins on both the mainboard and HDD. I use WD as my primary HDD's and MSI more than any other mobo. No problems at all.
February 9, 2004 8:00:00 PM

I use a 40gigs bb hdd with my nforce2 mobo(soltek) and no issue here...so MSI is to blame.

February 12, 2004 6:12:54 PM

I have both of those mobo's, my k7 is currently dead. I also ran into this problem when I plugged in my Seagate Barracuda 80Gb ATA IV drive and hit ENTER while in the bios setup-it will hang there for days. Select the auto ID for the IDE devices and don't let the bios try and figure out the drive's size. During POST the size it displays is a tad over 65Gb but I have no problem accessing the drive's full capacity.
Jeff
!