Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

A price increase?! I am OUTRAGED! You should be too!

Last response: in Video Games
Share
February 23, 2010 1:26:04 PM

Why the hell Blizzard/Activision is charging $10 more for their PC games (starcraft 2/diablo 3) all the sudden after MW2?? Is this becoming the norms? I refused to buy MW2 because of this reason. I am not complaining about the extra $10 as the tangible value of it as much as I am complaining and protesting the violation of a principle. This is not fair or justifiable. I can't believe they can get away with it while eveyone else is not protesting the price increase and just busy hyping their games! They are not paying royalties to MS or Sony, therefore, why are we paying the same price as console gamers?? Is it not enough that they are cutting all sorts of PC exclusive features (server support, mods, etc) or the fact that we have to put up with all kinds of DRM crap that they bundle with their products?! If we don't stand up to Blizzard/Activision now and vote with our wallets, other publishers will follow suit soon. I am OUTRAGED! i'm outraged as to why this is not bothering anyone. Why it's not being brought up in podcasts and blog posts.

Tareq

More about : price increase outraged

February 23, 2010 2:11:11 PM

Assassin's Creed II is also $10 more. I pretty much share your sentiments that I don't care too much about the actual cost but more the principle of having to pay the same as the consoles. As I initially think about it I'm almost willing to give into the idea that PC games cost more to make up for increased piracy whereas console games have royalties to pay. But when I think about it a little more it irks me that console gamers still get the option of buying a used game now for less than the PC version.

Honestly I don't see myself running out to buy too many $60 PC games even if they are quality PC exclusives. PC game prices drop quickly so I'll be likely to wait until these games have dropped even below the $50 I would have payed. With the competitive market of digital distributors these games can always be had for 25% off or more within a few weeks plus there are numerous older titles with ever plunging prices to occupy my time while I wait for even the best of games to come down to a more reasonable price.
m
0
l
February 23, 2010 2:23:56 PM

I always wait for sales. Eventually, especially if they are on Steam, you can get a great deal. Or, check out Target. That's how I got Bioshock 1 for $20 over two years ago. I have no need to get a game just because it just came out.

Same with Dragon Age. I waited until Steam had a sale and then I purchased it for less than the retail price.
m
0
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
February 23, 2010 2:25:00 PM

purplerat said:
Assassin's Creed II is also $10 more. I pretty much share your sentiments that I don't care too much about the actual cost but more the principle of having to pay the same as the consoles. As I initially think about it I'm almost willing to give into the idea that PC games cost more to make up for increased piracy whereas console games have royalties to pay. But when I think about it a little more it irks me that console gamers still get the option of buying a used game now for less than the PC version.

Honestly I don't see myself running out to buy too many $60 PC games even if they are quality PC exclusives. PC game prices drop quickly so I'll be likely to wait until these games have dropped even below the $50 I would have payed. With the competitive market of digital distributors these games can always be had for 25% off or more within a few weeks plus there are numerous older titles with ever plunging prices to occupy my time while I wait for even the best of games to come down to a more reasonable price.


Yes, you are absolutely right. However, if the prices start at $60 then they will take longer time than usual to drop specially for titles like Starcraft and Diablo. I don’t buy games at full price too most of the time and I love games from independent developers such as sins of solar empire and I am willing to pay for price for such games. Never the less, I feel that big publishers are bullying us over with these prices and are hindering the pc games industry as whole. The argument that games cost too much is countered by the fact that they are cutting pc exclusive features that might cost them to support. Piracy, on the other hand, is being countered by draconian DRM measures.
m
0
l
February 23, 2010 2:55:35 PM

diablo 3 and starcraft 2 are going to be amazing.

i think it's an outrage that mediocre games aren't $20-30 cheaper to be honest.
m
0
l
February 23, 2010 3:00:59 PM

Yeah that can be answered simply....because they know you're still going to buy it!
Go ahead and try a petition. That ALWAYS works....8p
m
0
l
February 23, 2010 3:02:41 PM

We'll have to see about how the prices drop. They could drop just as quickly and just as low as if they started at $50 especially if they lose pre-order or release day sales to people balking at the $60 price tag which PC gamers are not used to. Really the only PC game to try out this higher price is MW2 which is not a great example because COD games tend to carry a high price point much longer than most PC games (MW didn't really drop until MW2 came out and barely then).

One thing about PC games is that because of digital distribution they can react to the market quicker than console games in terms of pricing. That said I have a feeling Blizzard will keep the price high for a while. Not only will those particular games sell well but Blizzard is pretty protective of it's IPs so they won't be slashing prices too quickly just to get a few extra sales (why do they even bother charging for WoW now?).

BTW - Gamestop has Starcraft II listed at $50 and Diablo III at $60, so as of now it seems Diablo is the only one getting a price bump. Of course there is the whole issue of who they are releasing Starcraft in parts so it's not like much is being saved overall.
m
0
l
February 23, 2010 3:05:23 PM

StatiicGrazer said:
Yeah that can be answered simply....because they know you're still going to buy it!
Go ahead and try a petition. That ALWAYS works....8p

What's sad is that the extra cost will probably deter a lot of people from buying these games at release and those lost sales will be blamed on piracy and/or PC gaming not being a viable platform.
m
0
l
February 23, 2010 3:09:30 PM

StatiicGrazer said:
Yeah that can be answered simply....because they know you're still going to buy it!
Go ahead and try a petition. That ALWAYS works....8p


I do not think petition works. I am more interested in creating a collective sentiment that disapprove such price hikes and discourages further advancements by other publishers. I would want PC game/hardware sites to write about it and voice the opinion of their readers.
m
0
l
February 23, 2010 3:44:40 PM

tareq said:
I do not think petition works. I am more interested in creating a collective sentiment that disapprove such price hikes and discourages further advancements by other publishers. I would want PC game/hardware sites to write about it and voice the opinion of their readers.

Yup, that's what I'd like to see. Hey maybe there's a good reason why these prices are going up or maybe it's something else. Either way what we have is something (the price of PC games) which has essentially been the same for some 10 years or more and now a one time virtual cap on prices seems to have been lifted. If it hadn't been so constant for so long it might be easily brushed off as a normal price increase. But that's not the case so we should ask for a more detailed analysis and/or response.
m
0
l
February 23, 2010 8:45:21 PM

*cough* BC2 is still 10 bux cheaper than the console version
m
0
l
February 24, 2010 9:56:28 AM

Blizzard is now a part of Activision so I wouldn't be too surprised that they upped the price of their upcoming games. Also, they know the games going to sell like hotcakes and they know adding $10 to the price won't put people off. I do agree that it sucks though.
m
0
l
February 24, 2010 10:39:33 AM

1 sentence: "and then they are surpriced that piracy exists"
m
0
l
February 24, 2010 3:25:42 PM

I generally wait for a sale when buying games. The only game I've every bought on release day was Fallout 3. If Fallout: New Vegas gets good reviews, then that'll be the 2nd game I will buy on release day or pre-order it.

That is unless the publisher decides to raise prices.
m
0
l
February 24, 2010 6:55:41 PM

jaguarskx said:
I generally wait for a sale when buying games. The only game I've every bought on release day was Fallout 3. If Fallout: New Vegas gets good reviews, then that'll be the 2nd game I will buy on release day or pre-order it.

That is unless the publisher decides to raise prices.

How will you know if its good BEFORE it comes out, hm?
m
0
l
February 24, 2010 11:23:28 PM

I have quit buying games until it's been out for a while, usually I wait until it's on sale somewhere, so the game companies can try to charge the same as consoles, I ain't buying it
BTW, I just got Oblivion, glad I waited, after playing Divinity2, I think it(Oblivion) sucks, the only game I eaver played that I got put in jail for doing what the game says to do, I took a dead mans horse that one of the NPC's said to take, then I got put in jail for stripping corpses, STUPID GAME
m
0
l
February 24, 2010 11:30:09 PM

Yea, im not a huge fan of oblivion, but for 10 bux i couldnt pass up giving it a try.
m
0
l
February 24, 2010 11:38:41 PM

well voting with my wallet is the only way I can make a difference
m
0
l
March 4, 2010 1:39:51 PM

I was at Gamestop yesterday and noticed Assassin's Creed 2 was only $39.99 for the 360. When I got home I checked both Steam on Gamestops site and both have the PC listed as $59.99. Now maybe this is an error, seeing how it has yet to be released, but then again both are taking orders so people are paying $60 for a game that is $40 on the consoles. Is there something special about the PC version that I'm missing?
m
0
l
March 4, 2010 3:58:53 PM

I think the PC version has some $10 DLC, but I'm *definitely* not sure. Also, just due to the nature of things, the console version has lost value, I suppose they're hoping PC gamers won't notice.
m
0
l
March 4, 2010 4:30:50 PM

Is the $40 console price a reduction? I never really paid attention to it's pricing. I would guess the PC would also drop pretty quickly as well. If so it sucks to be somebody who pre-ordered. But I don't feel too bad for them. Unless there is some phenomenal offer pre ordering is utterly pointless in today's gaming market.
m
0
l
March 4, 2010 6:24:17 PM

JDV28 said:
How will you know if its good BEFORE it comes out, hm?


Previews.

It will undoubtfully be compared to Fallout 3.
m
0
l
March 4, 2010 7:08:34 PM

tareq said:
Why the hell Blizzard/Activision is charging $10 more for their PC games (starcraft 2/diablo 3) all the sudden after MW2?? Is this becoming the norms? I refused to buy MW2 because of this reason. I am not complaining about the extra $10 as the tangible value of it as much as I am complaining and protesting the violation of a principle. This is not fair or justifiable. I can't believe they can get away with it while eveyone else is not protesting the price increase and just busy hyping their games! They are not paying royalties to MS or Sony, therefore, why are we paying the same price as console gamers?? Is it not enough that they are cutting all sorts of PC exclusive features (server support, mods, etc) or the fact that we have to put up with all kinds of DRM crap that they bundle with their products?! If we don't stand up to Blizzard/Activision now and vote with our wallets, other publishers will follow suit soon. I am OUTRAGED! i'm outraged as to why this is not bothering anyone. Why it's not being brought up in podcasts and blog posts.

Tareq

This may seem stupid but I think it's better paying extra for game companys that release our favorite pc games which are sometimes masterpieces than paying 70 euros for the ps3 games and the other console ones.If it supports the release of new better games I'm paying for blizzard and other guys.But because mw2 is so popular I'm not going to pay that much to play it.It isn't good enough to deserve more money than better games.
m
0
l
March 4, 2010 8:33:07 PM

BeCoolBro said:
This may seem stupid but I think it's better paying extra for game companys that release our favorite pc games which are sometimes masterpieces than paying 70 euros for the ps3 games and the other console ones.If it supports the release of new better games I'm paying for blizzard and other guys.But because mw2 is so popular I'm not going to pay that much to play it.It isn't good enough to deserve more money than better games.

I could be convinced on a game like Starcraft or Diablo to pay a premium. Assassin's Creed 2 is hardly a game worth even the usual PC max price (USD) of $50 never mind $10 more and $20 more than the consoles to boot. MW2 could have been worth the extra $ but they took away from PC gamers so it comes off as a pure money grab. Which is really unnecessary considering how much they'll make off the console versions, $10 for the PC is not going to mean much to them in terms of profits but does make the average PC gamer think twice especially considering the game is nothing special for the PC.
m
0
l
March 5, 2010 2:58:36 AM

I'll pay $10 more for blizzard games because they have earned my trust. I have never purchased a bad blizzard game before.
m
0
l
March 5, 2010 8:09:22 AM

Remember when gas was 80 cents a gallon? thats when i started driving.... anyways, the top games were around 30 bucks at release.... that was more than 12 years ago. With the increase in technology and increase in demand comes an increase in cost. All i am saying is if you want Doom 3D graphics and gameplay, pay the 30 bucks. Other than that you get realistic environments for 50-60 bucks... I have not seen any pictures from SC2 yet or D3, but i am pretty sure it will be worth the money. I myself petitioned MW2 because of the no dedicated servers. After a week i thought, they have sold billions of dollars worth of a single game, why would they worry about a 300k person petition?

Anyways, Deal with it. Its a part of life.

I seen Commander Keen for 5 bucks.... you should get the whole series for 5 bucks...but people still buy it.
m
0
l
March 5, 2010 12:41:20 PM

Your analogy to gas is false. There is negligible cost associated with increased demand for games where as oil is both limited in quantity and has a cost per the amount processed and sold.

You're also wrong on the "top price" of PC games. $50 PC games have been around a lot longer than 12 years. And there are still lots of games release around the $30-$40 price point now. Maybe more games are trending towards the higher price point now a days.

I'm sure games do cost more today to make. But increased popularity and wider distribution means they are also more profitable especially at a more accessible price point. Game profits are built on quantity of sales not selling higher priced items to less people. That's why game prices have been relatively steady. I have a feeling that there is more to this new trend towards higher prices than just higher costs.

Furthermore these price increases would seem more valid if they actually stuck (which I'll give MW2 credit for). What really happens is that too many games are $50-$60 for the first week or two then drop significantly. As a smart shopper I don't have a problem with waiting but it does make me question how these companies treat their most loyal customers (the ones who pre-order and buy on day of release). Instead of loyal customers they are treating them more like sheep and fleecing them by hitting that specific customer base up for more money. It's very similar to what Apple does with new products.
m
0
l
March 6, 2010 12:23:07 AM

You can pre-order Starcraft 2 now for $49.99. I expect the same thing to happen with Diablo 3 the closer it gets to release.
m
0
l
March 6, 2010 12:33:39 PM

There was actually an article on the front page that helps justify the increasing prices of games.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/future-3d-graphics,...

It talks about the growing budgets of PC games with some of them upwards of $200 million! That was pretty surprising, most movies don't have that type of budget.
m
0
l
March 6, 2010 2:45:20 PM

zugzug said:
There was actually an article on the front page that helps justify the increasing prices of games.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/future-3d-graphics,...

It talks about the growing budgets of PC games with some of them upwards of $200 million! That was pretty surprising, most movies don't have that type of budget.

Just a correction, that article and those prices refer to games in general and not specifically PC games.
m
0
l
March 6, 2010 5:15:40 PM

purplerat said:
Just a correction, that article and those prices refer to games in general and not specifically PC games.


I know the numbers aren't published right now, but I'm pretty sure that Blizzard is pumping some serious money into Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3.
m
0
l
March 6, 2010 5:21:54 PM

60 dollars is nothing, if you are a true FAN of the game and lets say that you will be playing for endless hours there is no need to complain about the price. Its freakin 2010 now... what you expect?
m
0
l
March 6, 2010 5:46:48 PM

OvrClkr said:
60 dollars is nothing, if you are a true FAN of the game and lets say that you will be playing for endless hours there is no need to complain about the price. Its freakin 2010 now... what you expect?

Cut the "true FAN" BS. True sucker is more like it seeing as these games drop in prices so quickly now a days that's exactly what game companies take people who pay $60 for a game like Assassin's Creed to for - suckers. The console version is $20 cheaper already yet they are still taking $60 for pre-orders on the PC version. The PC version will be $40 a week after release. So people paying $60 for a pre-order are paying more for a game they can't even play until a week before the rest of us get it for 33% less.

If the real price of games was going up I would agree that it's just a natural rise in prices. But a lot of these increases are being put on the game before they actually launch and sold for that price before even being released. Then they come out and drop $10-$20. These companies are literally charging extra purely to make money on the hype since the customers paying these inflated prices can't even play the game until just before the price goes down. It's a scam.
m
0
l
March 6, 2010 6:01:48 PM

purplerat said:
Cut the "true FAN" BS. True sucker is more like it seeing as these games drop in prices so quickly now a days that's exactly what game companies take people who pay $60 for a game like Assassin's Creed to for - suckers. The console version is $20 cheaper already yet they are still taking $60 for pre-orders on the PC version. The PC version will be $40 a week after release. So people paying $60 for a pre-order are paying more for a game they can't even play until a week before the rest of us get it for 33% less.

If the real price of games was going up I would agree that it's just a natural rise in prices. But a lot of these increases are being put on the game before they actually launch and sold for that price before even being released. Then they come out and drop $10-$20. These companies are literally charging extra purely to make money on the hype since the customers paying these inflated prices can't even play the game until just before the price goes down. It's a scam.



Wow purple... did you get owned by a video game store or something? If you noticed MW2 has not gone down one bit. I bought it for 10 dollars cheaper only because the military base exchange was have a 20% off anything in the store. The only price drop i seen in L4D2 was during black friday. I bought that in 4 pack and got it for a few bucks cheaper. Now it is back to the original price.
I dont know what your problem is. Maybe you can not hold a job to keep up your addiction? Stop buying damn Nikes and you will be able to purchase a real game and not complain about it.
m
0
l
March 6, 2010 6:06:41 PM

I dont see why its a huge deal to pay for a game!!!
Its not a major investment, people. Its 60 bux, if you want to whine, THEN DONT BUY THE GAME.
Go ahead and bicker over 10$ but that is pathetic.
m
0
l
March 6, 2010 7:47:09 PM

Actually I've long advocated waiting at least a couple of months before purchasing most games both to get the lower price and to see if it's worth it. I haven't bought a game that I really regretted paying what I paid since the Dreamcast days.

I'm saying what I'm saying because I'm advocating for all gamers in how we are treated by these companies. If games are $60, then fine they're $60. What I'm talking about is these companies taking advantage of their most loyal/ignorant customers by charging a few dollars more and hoping they won't know the difference. It's no different then when Apple charges $100 more for their newest device just for the first week then drop the price even while the demand is still just as high. It's a sleazy way to pocket a few extra dollars from those people who they expect to buy the game no matter what. It used to be that companies, at least the good ones and not just limited to the gaming industry, used to treat those customers (the most loyal ones) with extra respect. Now they are the ones that get trashed the most. And if these companies will trash their 'best' customers what does that mean for the rest of us.

Also why the hell are Starcraft and Diablo even for sell now? How about a solid release date before taking peoples money.
m
0
l
March 6, 2010 10:42:30 PM

purplerat said:
Cut the "true FAN" BS. True sucker is more like it seeing as these games drop in prices so quickly now a days that's exactly what game companies take people who pay $60 for a game like Assassin's Creed to for - suckers. The console version is $20 cheaper already yet they are still taking $60 for pre-orders on the PC version. The PC version will be $40 a week after release. So people paying $60 for a pre-order are paying more for a game they can't even play until a week before the rest of us get it for 33% less.

If the real price of games was going up I would agree that it's just a natural rise in prices. But a lot of these increases are being put on the game before they actually launch and sold for that price before even being released. Then they come out and drop $10-$20. These companies are literally charging extra purely to make money on the hype since the customers paying these inflated prices can't even play the game until just before the price goes down. It's a scam.



blah blah blah, stop being a cheapskate, if you cant afford the game then get a job, I can give a rats arse if the game is 60 bucks, I just payed 49.99$ over at steam for BC2 at launch and even if the game was 59.99$ i would have not hesitated ..

you can also wait and get the game later, just like you pointed out (at a cheaper price) so there is no excuse :non: 
m
0
l
!