Want to replace 1.1USB with 2.0 usb on Pavilion 523n

I want to add a 2.0 usb 4 port card. I know where to insert it. I also want
to deactivate the front two and the rear two USB 1.0 ports on my Pavilion
523n running Windows XP Home. Can it be done, and how do I go about doing
it?
5 answers Last reply
More about want replace 1usb pavilion 523n

    Unlike more generic motherboards with BIOSes having more options, the HP BIOS
    may not permit you to disable the USB ports. But it's worth a trip thru the
    BIOS setup menus to see if it is possible... Ben Myers

    On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 04:33:28 GMT, "mike" <mwos@optonline.net> wrote:

    >I want to add a 2.0 usb 4 port card. I know where to insert it. I also want
    >to deactivate the front two and the rear two USB 1.0 ports on my Pavilion
    >523n running Windows XP Home. Can it be done, and how do I go about doing
    >it?

    > On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 04:33:28 GMT, "mike" <mwos@optonline.net> wrote:
    >
    >>I want to add a 2.0 usb 4 port card. I know where to insert it. I also
    >>want
    >>to deactivate the front two and the rear two USB 1.0 ports on my Pavilion
    >>523n running Windows XP Home. Can it be done, and how do I go about doing
    >>it?

    Why, haven't you still got USB 1.1 peripherals? Plugging them into a USB 2.0
    port will slow it down to USB 1.1 speed.

    Do what I have done with my 733uk. Leave the USB 1.1 for your older periphs,
    and install a 2.0 PCI card for your newer ones.

    I've got a 3 port belkin card. (2 external, 1 internal). I presume if I
    wanted to I could convert my front two by plugging them into the internal
    port of the card - but I've never bothered.

    Si.

    mike <mwos@optonline.net> wrote:
    > I want to add a 2.0 usb 4 port card. I know where to insert it. I also want
    > to deactivate the front two and the rear two USB 1.0 ports on my Pavilion
    > 523n running Windows XP Home. Can it be done, and how do I go about doing
    > it?

    Can't you just disable them in the profile(s) [1]?

    [1] Control Panel -> System -> Hardware -> Device Manager -> for each of
    the devices in the respective "Universal Serial Bus controllers"
    tree(s?), click on the device(s) -> Properties -> Device uasge: Do not
    use this device in any hardware profiles (disable) -> OK

    "Frank Slootweg" <this@ddress.is.invalid> wrote in message
    > mike <mwos@optonline.net> wrote:
    >> I want to add a 2.0 usb 4 port card. I know where to insert it. I also
    >> want
    >> to deactivate the front two and the rear two USB 1.0 ports on my Pavilion
    >> 523n running Windows XP Home. Can it be done, and how do I go about doing
    >> it?
    >
    > Can't you just disable them in the profile(s) [1]?
    >
    > [1] Control Panel -> System -> Hardware -> Device Manager -> for each of
    > the devices in the respective "Universal Serial Bus controllers"
    > tree(s?), click on the device(s) -> Properties -> Device uasge: Do not
    > use this device in any hardware profiles (disable) -> OK

    But again, why would you want to? As I said, theoretically, you could
    connect them to a USB 2.0 card with an internal socket/connector?

    Si.

    Si.

    Si <si@nospamforme.com> wrote:

    > "Frank Slootweg" <this@ddress.is.invalid> wrote in message
    > > mike <mwos@optonline.net> wrote:
    > >> I want to add a 2.0 usb 4 port card. I know where to insert it. I also
    > >> want
    > >> to deactivate the front two and the rear two USB 1.0 ports on my Pavilion
    > >> 523n running Windows XP Home. Can it be done, and how do I go about doing
    > >> it?
    > >
    > > Can't you just disable them in the profile(s) [1]?
    > >
    > > [1] Control Panel -> System -> Hardware -> Device Manager -> for each of
    > > the devices in the respective "Universal Serial Bus controllers"
    > > tree(s?), click on the device(s) -> Properties -> Device uasge: Do not
    > > use this device in any hardware profiles (disable) -> OK
    >
    > But again, why would you want to? As I said, theoretically, you could
    > connect them to a USB 2.0 card with an internal socket/connector?

    Well, *re-wiring* is a different story, but if you just leave the USB
    1.1 ports as they are, you may have some nasty suprises. I had those
    when I added a Sitecom USB 2.0 Cardbus Card and Windows *still*
    complained about a high-speed device plugged into a low-speed port (or
    similar wording), even while the high-speed (hard-disk) device was
    plugged into the USB 2.0 card. For (other) details about this mess, see
    my earlier article:

    http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=418e320f$0$61753$abc4f4c3@news.wanadoo.nl

Hewlett Packard Hardware Pavilion USB Computers