Building new system: Which MoBo/Chipset?

jamesblond

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2002
Hello.

I'm about to build a new system around a RME-Hammerfall DSP audio interface. I'm doing quite a lot of MIDI and audio processing with my system. It will probably have Kingston HyperX DDR-400 memory (1GB). I'm not sure what cpu, mainboard and chipset to buy. I'm leaning towards Athlon64, since it get top marks in almost all benchmarks, and it's a bit cheaper than Intel. From this forum, I've chosen 3 boards that might be what I need. I'm looking for a quiet system. They are the Asus K8V Deluxe, the Chaintech ZNF3-150 and the MSI K8T. Does anyone of you folks have any experience with the RME hammerfall in an Athlon64 system with one of these boards?

Any input is welcome here.

pat

Expert
I was thinking about upgrading for an Athlon 64 and found this <A HREF="http://www.ocworkbench.com/2003/soyo/k8usa dragon ultra/k8usadragonultra-1.htm" target="_new">board review</A>, the Soyo sy-k8usa black dragon ultra. It seems to run fast, stable and looks good.

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!

jamesblond

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2002
I've looked at the link you posted. The board looks a lot like the three other boards I mentioned.

I've talked with a friend of mine who has just builded a new system too. He works with a dual Xeon 2,4 GHz system. Do you (or anyone) know which chipset and board is best for that configuration? I couldnn't find much but server boards. Which is not what I want. I need at least 5 pci slots.

Thanx.