Asus P3C-D and Memory

fwelland

Distinguished
May 17, 2002
What to do about Memory for this board?

It has three 184pin RamBus slots - the dox suggest only 2 can but used with RIMMS and the 3rd is plugged with a "CT-RIMM" - or 1 rim, 1crimm and 1 ct-rimm.

Can't I just put in 3 RIMMs (memory rimms not continuity or continuity-terminators)? Has anybody tried this; does it work?

If I gotta use a ct-rimm - where do I get one (i don't have one or crimm for that matter)? Oh, and where to get cheap RIMMS if I gotta use them?

What about using the DR1 DIMM riser card instead of RIMMS? Any experience with that. DIMMS are way much cheaper then RIMM. Bad move good Move?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The adapter cards are best known for the infamous "MTH recall". You'd be best off using RIMM's, but I don't know if you can use 3. I'd try it. PC600 is cheap now that PC800 is needed for most older P4 boards.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

fwelland

Distinguished
May 17, 2002
Ok, I'll bite.

What was the "MTH recall'? Do I have a dud of a mobo? Or just using RIMMS, and otherwise the mobo is decent?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Intel recalled all i820 motherboards with SDRAM support due to a bug in the Memory Translator Hub, the same part that makes those RDRAM to SDRAM converters work. Just use RIMMs, the older PC600 modules are nearly worthless now.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

TRENDING THREADS