Random slowdowns in all games please help!!!!!

My comp specs are AMD 3600X2 2ghz, 2 gig ram, MNV2 motherboard, calibre 9600gt graphics card, 430w psu.

My problem is that In virtually all the games i Play they will be running great one second then slow down to around 10fps for upto a couple of mins then start going fine again for a while and then slow again. This happens in even relativly undemanding games as well. I have so far checked both card and CPU temps with card around 46C under load and CPU around 54C under load.

I have tried updateing all drivers that I can think of to no avail.

Any suggestions that anyone has would be most welcome.

Thanks
6 answers Last reply
More about random slowdowns games help
  1. What make of PSU?

How many background tasks running? AV? iTunes? etc.
  2. Hmmm, I've got an 8800 and it will NOT run properly with a 420w psu, consider at least a 500-550w psu....:)
  3. I agree with dokk2, you really need more power, run OCCT and see if the PSU even makes the rated power, something else yopu might want to check, your running a ASUS motherboard, and I have much the same problem, if I open 6 or 7 web pages or play graphic intensive games it CTD, BSOD's etc,( I have a M2N68+AM3) check and see if the memory is on the QVL list, if it isn't, and I bet it's not, get some that is, I just manually set it to CLS6( I have Kingston KVR-800 RAM( that is not on the list) and it made a real difference,(so I am going to get a new MB soon)
  4. I specifically bought the 9600gt because it only needed a 430w psu with 18amps on the 12v rail which mine has. I didnt want to have to buy a new psu when i upgraded the card. The prev owner was running it with exactly the same psu with no probs.

I was previously running a 7600gt and it had the same problem and Im sure 430w is enough for that.
    As to the mother board and memory what is the QVL list, and how do i change it manually?

I only have AVG anti virus running in background no memory intensive tasks going when I have check during a slowdown CPU only at around 50-70% full for game and nothing else significant is running.

PSU is a thermaltake
  5. Still needs to be a decent PSU no matter what the ratings. Check out the number of failures here:

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/psus/2010/02/22/600-700w-psu-review-round-up/1
  6. Ok so i may need a new PSU any advice as to how many watts i need and a good but cheap brand? I just want something that will do the job at the least possible cost.

Thanks
Ask a new question

Read More

PC gaming Games Graphics Cards Motherboards Video Games