booting up when plugging in power cord...

Titanion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
Upon booting, my computer has a long beep, then a long pause, then a long beep, then a long pause, etc.

Soyo K7V Dragon Ultra...

Here is the interesting thing... I turn it off via the power button, unplug the power cord, try moving ram, reinserting video card, etc., to problemsolve, and then when I plug the power cord back in, it reboots on its own....

It does this every time I turn it off, pull the power cord out of the psu, wait a few minutes, then plug the power cord back in... is this a good sign of a motherboard short or what?

<font color=red><b>To reign is worth ambition though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heav'n.</b></font color=red>
John Milton, <i>Paradise Lost</i>, II 262-263

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Hmm, long beep could be RAM, power on instantly could be RAM or CPU...did you try resetting BIOS and making sure the BIOS reset jumper was put back in the normal position?

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Titanion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
ya, tried that.... moving ram around, reinseting agp, using pci video... I have not tried booting with motherboard out of case...

I need to borrow a different cpu from someone to see if it works...

<font color=red><b>To reign is worth ambition though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heav'n.</b></font color=red>
John Milton, <i>Paradise Lost</i>, II 262-263