A7N8X-DLX firewire drivers

andyeb

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2004
I have recently come to use the built-in firewire on my Asus A7N8X-Deluxe board - I enabled it in the BIOS and Windows XP found new hardware, but can't find the drivers - it shows up in Device Mangler as an Unknown Device.

I tried install the latest nVidia nforce2 drivers, but these don't seem to include the firewire support. I checked the Asus support website, but they only have drivers for the SATA or 3com LAN.

Any idea where I can download firewire drivers for this board? I've been having a good hunt with google, but not turned anything up yet.

All advice appreciated!

thanks,

Andy

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
? On your ASUS disc should have everything......... i have the same board, and all i did was POP in that PCI braket and ... and instantly ADD/Remove Hardware comes right up.... follow the steps.......... I didn't touch anything in BIOS..... and instantly it worked......... why don't you try to ACTUALLY plug in your FIREWIRE device....... example, if you have a video camera or something just pop in the wire... it should see it....... it worked like that for me...

Asus A7N8X Deluxe
80gb Maxtor
200gb WD 8mb cache..
Lian-Li PC-60
Lite-On 52X
AMD XP2800+
LeadTek GeForce 4 Ti4200 w/vivo 128mb 8x
Hitachi CML174
1 GB Corsair XMS PC3200 Cas2

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If it's anything like their Intel boards it probably uses a VIA firewire controller, with the driver located on the CD.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

andyeb

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2004
Thanks for your replies guys. Unfortunately, I don't have the driver CD to hand (plus I generally tend to avoid using driver CDs - they usually contain out of date drivers that are more prone to problems and generally screwing up the system).

I want to use the firewire port to connect my iBook for high speed networking - I regularly need to throw gigabytes of data between the two machines and ethernet just doesn't cut it for that. I have physically connected the iBook using a 6-pin to 6-pin firewire cable... unfortunately this is the first time I have used this cable and I don't have any other firewire gear to connect it to :(.

Andy

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Well, Asus knows what part it is, they have the "correct" driver somewhere, you can check their site if you like.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
Damn No ASUS Install CD? what the hell did you do with it.lol... it's got some nice stuff like the Probe, but you can get everything off the website anyway..

Asus A7N8X Deluxe
80gb Maxtor
200gb WD 8mb cache..
Lian-Li PC-60
Lite-On 52X
AMD XP2800+
LeadTek GeForce 4 Ti4200 w/vivo 128mb 8x
Hitachi CML174
1 GB Corsair XMS PC3200 Cas2