Sign in with
Your question

Modern Warfare 2

Last response: in Video Games
February 25, 2010 5:42:49 AM

Ok, I have heard the stories about how bad MW2 is. People joining games and there are hackers, no gravity, full auto nade launchers and what not. I am just curious how prevalent the crap is. Personally seeing someone wait for a game in the waiting room on a youtube video and no dedicated servers was enough for me not to buy it. If you did buy it are you glad you bought it and going to be buying the DLC? Just curious about this.

More about : modern warfare

February 25, 2010 7:48:00 AM

I am glad i bought it, it was nice while it lasted. I wont buy the DLC however, i refuse to pay 20 bucks for a few more MP maps.

The game itself is great, so is the multiplayer. Matchmaking can be a pain in the ass. If you buy it, i recommend playing objective based multiplayer, less hackers there. Its a good game... but it could have been much better.
m
l
February 25, 2010 7:54:59 AM

the best was COD-MW, I don't play online so I thought that it was the best FPS ever, MW2 was ok, but it lacked something, I guess that I didn't feel like I was part of the team maybe, seemed like STALKER, but a little better
m
l
Related resources
February 25, 2010 11:15:41 AM

if you like these 'war' games, then you'll enjoy the short single player campaign. but multiplayer is awful.

MW1 multiplayer was aleady inferior to counterstrike, left4dead and team fortress2, then they went and removed dedicated servers and put up the matchmaking system. it's laggy, anti-social, boring... i'd have more fun replaying mediocre PS2 games that i haven't seen in 7 years.
m
l
February 25, 2010 9:20:55 PM

tarquinbiscuitbarrel said:
if you like these 'war' games, then you'll enjoy the short single player campaign. but multiplayer is awful.

MW1 multiplayer was aleady inferior to counterstrike, left4dead and team fortress2, then they went and removed dedicated servers and put up the matchmaking system. it's laggy, anti-social, boring... i'd have more fun replaying mediocre PS2 games that i haven't seen in 7 years.

I would have to ask how left for dead and team fortress 2 can even be compared to COD4? I mean you have a Zombie shooter and a cartoon shooter? They are not even in the same ball park my friend. As for counterstrike I have never played and don't really feel at will to comment other than I am sure there are thing good about both and thing bad about both . I will say I played COD4 for two and a half years and it has kept me entertained the whole way. More and More I am playing BC2 more than COD4 now. The problem I had with counter strike is the graphics look to much like Medal of Honor to me and didn't really feel like going backwards graphically. To each his own i guess.
m
l
February 26, 2010 1:18:59 PM

Single player was pretty good, but extremely scripted in some areas - you *will* go this way and do this thing etc... Like all the CoD games, very short - I finished it in 2 sessions and I'm not a hardcore gamer by any means these days, dissapointing.

Multiplayer - I quickly went back to BF2 on the PC, just light-years ahead in every way except graphics and they aren't exactly poor.
m
l
March 1, 2010 1:28:19 AM

hell yeahh im glad i bought it it freaking rocks, although yeahh a bunch of hackers but hey just get out and join another one. cant wait for the next map pack!!!!!
m
l
March 1, 2010 3:55:30 PM

MW2 is laggy and hackers everywhere.

There are posts of people spawning and instantly dying because they got shot by someone on the other side of the map who instantly did a 180 and headshot them.

Then the lag. You join a game and one of the random player's crappy connections get's to host the game. Which means that one guy gets a 0 ping and everyone else gets packetloss. You hear of people joining games where most everyone is in the USA, then some guy from Tabet with a 1KB satellite link gets to host and you just chop all over while the host and his friends run around and kills you.

OK, so that last part was a bit exaggerated, but you get the point.
m
l
March 2, 2010 6:10:34 PM

I wouldn't dismiss it entirely, but compared to CoD4, for me certainly, there is no contest. I would say most of the time games are 'alright', no hackers, mostly good pings, but alright is the correct word, not 'good' or 'great'. It sucks waiting in a lobby, it sucks how when there are problems there are no admins to kick people out and if Hardcore is your style then look elsewhere because the only choices you have (without having a Private Match) are TDM, HQ and SnD. The team size limits can be annoying too, whilst I was never a fan of "TDM RAPE!!!" matches, 6v6 is low for some game types.

Going on to the new features, Titles, Emblems, etc, I think they are a nice touch, but have taken the focus away from the game itself. People are always telling me to "get this emblem" and "prestige, you get more titles", et cetera, but to be honest, isn't the game about running round with a gun? And prestiging, well I couldn't care less about titles and emblems if it means I have to unlock all the guns and attachments again.

And one word to describe the spawn system: ****. At least a third of my deaths must have been through spawn-killing and believe me, I'm not joking.

So yeah, it isn't a complete fail, but it really isn't all that great either. I have found it annoying and disappointing. Disappointing in the sense that I always feel so let down by this addition to the Call of Duty line up.

My only condolence is that I think the money I paid for this game actually goes towards the great gameplay I have always had on CoD4, because that would have been worth every penny.
m
l
March 5, 2010 5:10:08 PM

Kewlx25 said:
MW2 is laggy and hackers everywhere.

There are posts of people spawning and instantly dying because they got shot by someone on the other side of the map who instantly did a 180 and headshot them.

Then the lag. You join a game and one of the random player's crappy connections get's to host the game. Which means that one guy gets a 0 ping and everyone else gets packetloss. You hear of people joining games where most everyone is in the USA, then some guy from Tabet with a 1KB satellite link gets to host and you just chop all over while the host and his friends run around and kills you.

OK, so that last part was a bit exaggerated, but you get the point.

I have nearly 5 days (in game time) logged in MW2 and I have never seen the first scenario happen, though there certainly are aimbots. Not to mention wall hacks, where everyone on the opposing team shows up with a red box around them that you can see from everywhere, not just through walls, but through everything. What is worse than the hacking, which is less common than many claim, are the people so paranoid about hacking that anyone who does remotely well is a hacker.
That said if someone is clearly hacking, I just leave the game and find a new game.

People with crappy connection hosting is annoying though. It is somewhat laughable that the game tells you it is "Finding the best host" and then that happens.

I still really enjoy the game.
m
l
March 5, 2010 5:17:14 PM

ukcal said:
I wouldn't dismiss it entirely, but compared to CoD4, for me certainly, there is no contest. I would say most of the time games are 'alright', no hackers, mostly good pings, but alright is the correct word, not 'good' or 'great'. It sucks waiting in a lobby, it sucks how when there are problems there are no admins to kick people out and if Hardcore is your style then look elsewhere because the only choices you have (without having a Private Match) are TDM, HQ and SnD. The team size limits can be annoying too, whilst I was never a fan of "TDM RAPE!!!" matches, 6v6 is low for some game types.

Going on to the new features, Titles, Emblems, etc, I think they are a nice touch, but have taken the focus away from the game itself. People are always telling me to "get this emblem" and "prestige, you get more titles", et cetera, but to be honest, isn't the game about running round with a gun? And prestiging, well I couldn't care less about titles and emblems if it means I have to unlock all the guns and attachments again.

And one word to describe the spawn system: S-H-I-T. At least a third of my deaths must have been through spawn-killing and believe me, I'm not joking.

So yeah, it isn't a complete fail, but it really isn't all that great either. I have found it annoying and disappointing. Disappointing in the sense that I always feel so let down by this addition to the Call of Duty line up.

My only condolence is that I think the money I paid for this game actually goes towards the great gameplay I have always had on CoD4, because that would have been worth every penny.

I agree the spawn system is poor, though I am nowhere near being killed 1/3 of the time because of the spawn system. Another issue related to spawning is level design. In some maps it is possible to fire into the enemies spawn area the very first second of the game, and on other maps you only need to take a few steps, and your opponent only a few steps and the same scenario is present. So you will ket sniper kills and people shooting the grenade launcher attatchment right off the get go. This isn't so bad in some modes, but is terrible in Search and Destroy where there is no respawn. Two things could easily have solved this, better level design, and / or dedicated servers, so you could set a rule, like no use of grenade launcher in the first 4 seconds or somethig.
m
l
March 6, 2010 2:07:49 PM

Its a GOOD game because ALOT of people play it. Its good. The level system is great.
m
l
!