Linking 2 Houses - 100 metres

I would be very grateful for some advice. I'm in the UK and wish to
share my ADSL connection with a house in the same road, 100 metres
away.

I have Line of Sight from my loft to a window on the ground floor in
the other house, behind which I will place an AP, Bridge or whatever.
So the signal needs to travel through the wall of my loft and a window
in the other house.

In my house, I have a D-Link DSL-504 wired modem/router which is wired
to 2 PCs. I intend to add a third wire to the wireless equipment that
I will put in the loft. In the other house, there is just a
stand-alone PC.

My questions are as follows:

1. Is this likely to work using the standard built-in antennas?

2. What equipment to buy? Do I need 2 Access Points or would Bridges
be better? I would prefer Linksys or D-Link equipment unless someone
knows better. I have looked at the WAP11, DWL-700AP, DWL-900AP+,
DI514 etc. but I'm totally confused as to what I need. The link is
only for ADSL access so I assume that 11mb/s equipment will be OK, or
is there any advantage to me in going for faster kit?

3. Any tips on configuration etc. would be useful.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Kevin <nospam@fsnet.co.uk> wrote in

> 1. Is this likely to work using the standard built-in antennas?

No.

> 2. What equipment to buy? Do I need 2 Access Points or would Bridges
> be better? I would prefer Linksys or D-Link equipment unless someone
> knows better. I have looked at the WAP11, DWL-700AP, DWL-900AP+,
> DI514 etc. but I'm totally confused as to what I need. The link is
> only for ADSL access so I assume that 11mb/s equipment will be OK, or
> is there any advantage to me in going for faster kit?

You probably want 2 access points that support wireless linking (WDS -
wireless distribution system as they call it now).

A Wireless G AP would allow you to share files at high speed.

To link 100m, you'll want to use a directional antenna. If you find that
the signal is too weak, you may have to add an amplifier.

--
Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)

spike

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2003

I travel a great deal and connect up to many different
access points. I carry a 200 milliwat card with me with
an external antenna jack. With weak signals I plug in
the small external antenna into the PC card and can
move the antenna around for the best signal. I can reliably
connect up to many APs at up to 1000 feet. And, it could
be noted that the latest Wi-Fi shootout was won by a pair
of hams at 62 miles. The previous at 31 miles. True that's
with special antennas, expert knowledge, and luck. I never
try to connect to a hotspot with my internal 802.11 wi-fi
chip under difficult circumstances, however, although 200
feet is not too difficult. Good Luck

If you can place an USB wifi adaptor at the end of (up to 5m) cable on the
window sill then it will likely pick up the signal from your loft.
I do the very same thing with Draytek Vigor 2600 wifi router and Orinoco USB
adapters, the signal quality and strength fluctuates, but it still works
fine,
I get the full 480+kb/s available from our '512kb/s' ADSL.
The 11Mb/s is several times faster then ADSL, 54Mb/s will save you several
precious seconds if you transferring files between your computers.
You would only need it for streaming videos again only between your
computers.
But in practice most of wifi stuff on sale now is 54Mb/s anyway.
Regards,
Martin

Kevin wrote:
> I would be very grateful for some advice. I'm in the UK and wish to
> share my ADSL connection with a house in the same road, 100 metres
> away.
>
> I have Line of Sight from my loft to a window on the ground floor in
> the other house, behind which I will place an AP, Bridge or whatever.
> So the signal needs to travel through the wall of my loft and a window
> in the other house.
>
> In my house, I have a D-Link DSL-504 wired modem/router which is wired
> to 2 PCs. I intend to add a third wire to the wireless equipment that
> I will put in the loft. In the other house, there is just a
> stand-alone PC.
>
> My questions are as follows:
>
> 1. Is this likely to work using the standard built-in antennas?
Probably not, your best bet is to use 2 directional antennae for point
to point. Mount one externally on your roof, and the other can be placed
in the said window of your neighbors. Wireless pro
(www.wirelesspro.co.uk) supply a good range of antennae at decent prices.

> 2. What equipment to buy? Do I need 2 Access Points or would Bridges
> be better? I would prefer Linksys or D-Link equipment unless someone
> knows better. I have looked at the WAP11, DWL-700AP, DWL-900AP+,
> DI514 etc. but I'm totally confused as to what I need. The link is
> only for ADSL access so I assume that 11mb/s equipment will be OK, or
> is there any advantage to me in going for faster kit?

One access point at your house, and a bridge at your neighbors.
If it's only DSL you want to share, not files then 802.11b is fine, most
newer APs support 802.11g with backwards 802.11b compatibility anyway.

> 3. Any tips on configuration etc. would be useful.

We are a WISP in the UK, and, after many trials we are currently using
Smartbrigdes Airpoint XO access points at the node end (your house) and
Smartbridges Airbridge at the client end (your neighbors house). This
may be overkill for yourself (unless you are going to be authenticating
each user using RADIUS), we have successfully used standard netgear APs
and Bridges in exactly the same way as you over 3 miles with 14Db panel
antennae.

Be sure to run coax for as short as possible (i.e. keep the AP as close
to the antenna as possible) to avoid signal loss. You may want to
consider using Power-over-ethernet if you cannot get the ap close enough
to the antenna due to power point locations.

Have you thought about security? A configuration such as this one
(without RADIUS authentication) means that you neighbor is on the same
network as yourself, so check your file sharing settings if you do not
want them snooping on your files.
> Thanks in advance for any help.
no problem.

Peter Phillips
Software Director
Kinetiq Airzone

remove _SPAMTRAP_ to reply.

Kevin <nospam@fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message news:<tpbnl0lruoh6gbtlmq738j5phgu3p1rkoi@4ax.com>...
> My questions are as follows:
>
> 1. Is this likely to work using the standard built-in antennas?

Very likely. If you have a problem you could do this with a USB
adapter:

http://www.nodomainname.co.uk/cantenna3/cantenna3.htm

If that doesn't complete the link you could then add this to your
access point:
http://www.freeantennas.com/projects/Ez-10/
or this:

http://www.freeantennas.com/projects/template2/index.html

> 2. What equipment to buy? Do I need 2 Access Points or would Bridges
> be better? I would prefer Linksys or D-Link equipment unless someone
> knows better. I have looked at the WAP11, DWL-700AP, DWL-900AP+,
> DI514 etc. but I'm totally confused as to what I need. The link is
> only for ADSL access so I assume that 11mb/s equipment will be OK, or
> is there any advantage to me in going for faster kit?

You need an access point and a bridge. I'd suggest a Linksys WAP54G
and a Linksys WET54G but you could certainly get away with only a USB
adapter on the client end.

> 3. Any tips on configuration etc. would be useful.

Enable encryption.