Power Surge - Help!

mcahren

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
Among other things in my house, my computer is fried. It just won't turn on. It's a low end ECS K7S5A with an XP 2000, 1GM PC2700, etc. What usually happens in these cases? Is the RAM fried? PS? HDD? Chip? ...MOBO only?

I was actually thinking about upgrading to a newer MOBO and Chip before this happened, it looks like this is my opportunity.. if everything else is good.

Let me know if you have had this problem, and what you think is salvageable.

Thanks, JM

Flinx

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2001
Anything and everything could be wrong with your computer.
It may only be a small thing like the power supply but it could be any component.

Have you been smelling anything funny lately? My friends 300W Generic power supply on this board got eaten up.

After what did it stop working? Was there an electrical storm? Power surges? Do you have power line conditioning?

MOST IMPORTANT!!!!
Do you have a friend with a somewhat similar machine where you could swap out ur parts, ONE by ONE, to determine what your fault component or components are???

The loving are the daring!

mcahren

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
Not a storm, but some other kind of electrical surge. I live in a very rural area, utilities are poor, and yes, I have power conditioning for the whole house. Other problems: UltimateTV and phone switch don't work. There were several other problems (alarm, router, deep freeze), but they seem okay now.

I think that I will just get a new mobo and chip, been wanting those anyway. I have a 256MB mem stick that I can build it with, then swap my RAM in after it posts.. although PC2700 probably won't cut it in a new system(?). I guess that I need to get up to speed with the current stuff! i just hope my PVR-250 card is okay.. it's brand new.

Flinx

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2001
How about a UPS with some line conditioning for your sensitive electronics (computer)??? Might be worth it.

Something like <A HREF="http://www.apcc.com/products/family/index.cfm?id=22" target="_new">http://www.apcc.com/products/family/index.cfm?id=22</A>

The loving are the daring!