How do I connect my PS3 to my PC (for audio only?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcgamer_4123

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010
Hi,

I want to connect my PS3 to my PC so I can listen to game audio through headphones. I have this sound card - http://www.soundblaster.com/products/product.asp?category=1&subcategory=872&product=15854&nav=0 (Creative x-fi Fatality Pro). Since this card does not have an optical input, what cables would I need to connect the PS3 to it?

Secondly, I will be connecting the PS3 to my monitor via HDMI (monitor has no speakers) - is the PS3 able to output video ONLY via HDMI, and sound out through coaxial out or otherwise?

EDIT: If i connect the PS3 to my monitor (BENQ E2400HD) via HDMI, then plug my headphones into the monitor headphones jack, will I get sound then?

I apologise if this has been asked already, I couldn't find anyone with my exact same setup. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
Hi!

There is no headphone jack on the PS3... What i think he means is that you may modify a bit of cable (or buy an adapter like this one http://www.playdeluxe.de/bilder/hifi/klinke_chinch.jpg but with 3.5mm input instead of output)

However, I wouldn't recommend plugging your headphones directly into you ps3.. you'll lose the ability to control your volume.

I wouldn't recommend using the headphone plug in the e2400hd either.. The sound is just as crappy as the one you hear from its speakers (have the same monitor and hade both video and sound through hdmi to e2400hd..)

When i bought the adapter, shown in link above, and plugged it directly into my pc sound system ( Creative inspire T7900, which have a mp3-/ipod input) the sound...

ARKT007

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
Hey man just use head phones to connect ps3 directly why through pc you want to record its sound?
If there is no any sound out put in your ps3 then modify little bit cable of your Audio output which is going to your tv or speakers whatever this will help you

jiikaa

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
Hi!

There is no headphone jack on the PS3... What i think he means is that you may modify a bit of cable (or buy an adapter like this one http://www.playdeluxe.de/bilder/hifi/klinke_chinch.jpg but with 3.5mm input instead of output)

However, I wouldn't recommend plugging your headphones directly into you ps3.. you'll lose the ability to control your volume.

I wouldn't recommend using the headphone plug in the e2400hd either.. The sound is just as crappy as the one you hear from its speakers (have the same monitor and hade both video and sound through hdmi to e2400hd..)

When i bought the adapter, shown in link above, and plugged it directly into my pc sound system ( Creative inspire T7900, which have a mp3-/ipod input) the sound became SO much better than before. The downside with this solution is that you'll only get stereo sound. You need digital sound for 5.1 or more... but thats kinda more than the standard headphones need...

conclusion:

________
|******| - - - - - HDMI - - - - - E2400HD
|*PS3**|
|******| - - - - - AV Multi out - - - - Adapter (see above) - Computer - - - Headphones
|_______|

Go to sound settings on your PS3... Set the output to AV Multi out... I think the PS3 will still send audio via hdmi. But just turn off the speakers on the E2400HD and you'r done!

Solution

Xoom

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
I am planning on running my sound through my pc but for a different reason. I want to also be on our teamspeak server with my friends while we play ps3, that's what we're used to when playing pc. PS3 hdmi-dvi for monitor and PS3 audio out to a sound card. I use a usb headset so I am hoping that I can get game sounds through the pc and still be logged onto our teamspeak server.
I'm not exactly sure how this will work but the info I'm getting here is helping.

jiikaa

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010

Hey, that should work... If you're able to just monitor your line in (ps3) and use your usb mic as a recording device...

I use the ordinary mic input for my mic but, other than that, our configs looks identical. Go for it :)

pcgamer_4123

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010

Hi jiikaa,

Thanks very much for your reply :) Although I'm a tad confused as to how to connect the adapter to my PC. Do I take the white/red stereo AV cables coming from the PS3 (I haven't actually bought the PS3 yet so you'll have to excuse my ignorance on the hardware), plug it into the RC red/white IN on the adaptor...and then what? How do i connect a 3.5mm jack output to my PC? I'm not aware of any 3.5 - 3.5mm cable....
Thanks

jiikaa

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010

No problem.. :)

I did EXACTLY the same before I bought my ps3... Research is king!

Ok... So the video is connected via a hdmi cable... no problems there...
You also got an analog output (called AV multi out) on the back of the ps3... the cable that connects there contains three separate cables for audio AND video output (analog). It looks like this
84708-4.jpg

The yellow one is for video... dont mind this, you're using hdmi (which is significantly better)
The red and white ones is for audio and these two connects to the adaptor (below)
ctg%5C40645f.jpg

Voila! The other end (3.5mm) should go right into you "flexijack" port on your sound card...
29-102-005_1.jpg

PS. I know that you don't have an optical input on your sound card but be aware that even if you DID HAVE an optical input, you would'nt be able to use it to play more than stereo (2.0 channels). Generally the sound cards lacks the decoding circuit that is needed to decode the digital DTS signal. -> You'll need a real AV reciever to do that. Just so you know ;) DS

PS2. If you want to use your headset, this solution will only work with usb-headsets because you only have one input on your sound card (the flexiport is both mic- and line in).

pcgamer_4123

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010

Aaah I get it now. Thanks very much for all your help Jiikaa, I can't thank you enough! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.