Is DDRII and PCI Express worth the wait?

quist9

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2004
I'm going to be building my new system in about a month. I'm looking at a Athlon 64 chip set right now but i'm hearing about DDRII and PCI Express. What are the differences supose to be other then faster, and how much faster? When are they to be released and the new NForce 250? I need a major upgrade soon with some new games. I'm running (dont make fun) Athlon 1700+,512 ddr2700?,and YES a Geforce 2 GTS that was the top card like 3 years ago :) Dont worry I'll be getting a 9800 Pro at least. I just want to know how long till the new MBs come out.

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
DDR2 not really but PCI express with PCI express AGP cards will be for the bandwitdth is 8 times bigger. However nothing right now is really using the bandwidth of agp 8x right now. I went ahead and got my new computer since I upgrade typically every year or so and that is when PCI express should be in the mainstream.

Its just up to the MOBO companies to put out a working model that does not suck....

Barton 2500+ @ 2200mhz (10x220 vcore @ 1.8)
Asus A7N8X Dlx 440 FSB
1gb Geil GD pc3500 Dual Channel (2-3-3-6)
Segata 80gb SATA 8.5ms seek
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro(420/720)

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
<""Is DDRII and PCI Express worth the wait? "">

If I were you, I would wait for DDRIII or DDRIV, that would make my life happier now.

PS: on the other hand, if you were to die tomorrow, I think you will regret about skipping all the fun today.

PSS: sarkazm?? might be...

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
And AGP, completely.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If you need a new system NOW, build for NOW. Nearly every part of your PC will be replaced by new standards over the next year. Now, assuming you can't wait a year, build for NOW!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

czarousa

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2003
Worth the wait you say!!!
read this and you will find out that the PCI Express will no teven have a AGP support!!!!!!
http://www.anandtech.com/chipsets/showdoc.html?i=1953
Then read the articles about the technology Of prescott has to reach at least 4Ghz to surpass the current P4 3.2 Ghz processors
the new chipsets will be launched but let the dust settle down and go for a new 865PE, or 875 of any of the manufacturers preferably ASUS, MSI and ABIT and get good Rams and be happy....
If you wait to long then you will be waiting still for the .650nm processor of INTEL which according to me will be ground breaking.

so go ahead and be happy NOW instead of wishing to be happy in FUTURE
I have recently Bought Asus P4P800 DLX mobo and kingston Ram so i am in heaven.

:cool: & :eek: is <font color=red> my frame of mind </font color=red>
so enjoy life but!!!!!!