Is it just a bad luck with P4 mobos?

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I am starting to get tired with building P4 PC. Got AI7 from newegg, had to send it back caz it was rebooting for no reason. Got 4PCA3+ for an "upgrade", can't even get that thing to boot, just sits there with "FF" code, have to send it back as well for the replacement (this time I bought the warranty 'just in case';)

So, this thing gets more and more expansive as I have to send the stuff back which is no cheap solution. With AMD setups I was getting those things to run OS in 40 minutes, but THIS P4 'upgrade' is not "making me happy. Am I just having bad luck, or it is common with P4 these days?

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...

endyen

Splendid
Those P4 chips are really smart. The one you have can see you wont like it's perf so it's screwing up the mobos until you forget how well your amd system worked, and are just glad to finally have it running.

pat

Expert
I usually build AMD system. They all worked first time..the first Intel I built need 5 mobo before running stable or just running. That was the only one I did. I think that there is AMD type and Intel type....

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!

markgun

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2002
It seems like all the newer boards are VERY picky with memory, this includes the nForce2 boards. Most of the instability problems seem to come from various memory incompatibility issues.

<b>Qui habet aures audiendi audiat</b>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Face it, there are only two types of PC3200 on the market, junk RAM and slow RAM. Crucial sets longer latencies than most companies in SPD, keeping the RAM stable by slowing it down a bit. Other companies offer "better performance" by selling RAM that probably won't run stable at stock settings, requiring increasing vDIMM to gain stability at a minimum!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Johanthegnarler

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2003
Don't give up. I had to get two MSI neo2 ls's for a 2.6c till i got it to work. First one absolutely would not save bios changes. Even replaced CMOS battery. Then gave in got the second one and although the memory gave me a problem.. slowed it down a bit and it was running like a champ.

NF7-s mobo i thought i was having problems but really it's my speakers being stupid and me not being able to read. So really all in all my amd system took me about 30 minutes to completely do.

<A HREF="http://arc.aquamark3.com/arc/arc_view.php?run=610166081" target="_new">http://arc.aquamark3.com/arc/arc_view.php?run=610166081</A>
Figured i'd do it too..reality my ass.