Asus K8V Deluxe, Please Help!

bulgogi777

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2004
Hello, I was hoping to upgrade to Athlon 64 via the ASUS K8V Deluxe mb. However, I just got around to reading that Jan 12th Tom's Hardware article, "Athlon64 Boards Found Lagging in Memory Support". I was hoping to have either 1 or 2 Gb of DDR memory, but the article states that using two dimms makes things a little finicky.

My question would be, is this going to be a problem for me? Has anyone successfully run two dimms on this motherboard with decent memory timings? if so, what brand and model memory did you use?

My second concern is regarding the "bad capacitors" that were shipped on some of these boards. How do you tell if the board has bad capacitors?

Any help would be much appreciated, thanx~! :)

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by bulgogi777 on 02/04/04 04:28 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
VIA, GAH!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
We've already seen the problems with the nForce3 150, and limitations of the VIA K8T whatever. And we've already seen how close to perfect the SiS 755 is, yet people continue to buy VIA.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

pat

Expert
Maybe they feel more secure with Asus and VIA than ECS and SIS... Asus is (was for me) known as a good mobo company and ESC has been well, not very lucky with some of their board!

I've been for some time for expensive motherboard from big name. But now...I'd rather buy cheaper one from less well known company, because that I think that they have to prove something to still be doing business, as opposed to big name that have all the thrust from people. So they have to build good stuff to survive. My soltek nf2 mobo was way cheaper than the asus, it does as well if not better, and I wont lose as much money if I decide to sell it to upgrade.

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Answer is, if you haven't bought that board yet, buy a better one.

jcarte01

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2003
you can find all the perutations and conbinations in the <A HREF="http://www.asus.com/support/download/item.aspx?ModelName=K8V Deluxe&Type=Latest" target="_new">manual</A> chapter 2 i think. There are some limitations (like numbers double sided dimms and their speeds) etc so give it a carefull read.
I (as a 1st time builder) went with Corsair XMS TWINX PRO 3200 1024MB myself.
ie a pair of matched 512Mb dimms and its running fine.
feel free to give me a shout if you want more info, picking memory was the hardest part of building my new pc i though

Homer: There’s 3 ways to do things, the right way, the wrong way, and the max power way.
Bart: isn’t that the wrong way.
Homer: yea but faster.