Chaintech 7VJL misery

Hey Everyone,
I accidently put this message in the wrong forum, hopefully I'm in rhe right place now.
I have a 7VJL Apogee, Revision 2, and I'm having a hard time with it.
I used it as my main board, but just picked up a Abit NF7-S to replace it. So, I thought I would use it to make a HTPC.
I have a Antec Overture case, a ATI 9600XT video card (Sapphire), Maxtor 120GB hard drive (virgin), and a generic DVD, and a AMD 2000+ XP CPU.
Everytime I start the computer to load windows (for the first time), I get either a frozen computer at where it says "Checking hardware configuration", a frozen computer at "press enter to continue, R to repair, F3 to quit.
Or I get a screen telling me the system has a serious error (Blue screen).
I have tried a different hard drive (WD), CD rom (Lite-On, and video card(nVidia ti4200), but I still have the same problems. I have also disconnected all the motherboard connectons (hdd led, reset, speaker, etc) except for power on switch.
I have cleared the cmos, I have adjusted the bios settings several times, but still it does not work. Tried both fail-safe and optimum settings, tweaked for my configuration.
The memory is mushkin, and it was what was on the board when it was my main computer. Worked fine then.
Does anyone have any other ideas beside jumping up and down on the motherboard?
Tim
4 answers Last reply
More about chaintech 7vjl misery
  1. is that a fresh install or a windows already installed on another machine?

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!
  2. This is a fresh install on a brand new hard disk. I tried another hard disk as I thought that might be the problem, but it came up with the same messages.
    I'm thinking maybe I shorted out the mobo somewhere, I can't think of anything else it might be.
    Tim
  3. maybe the power supply?

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!
  4. It could be the power supply. I'm not sure how to test it, though. It's a Antech power supply that came with the case.
    Brand new, and powers up okay.
    The power supply for this case is made for this case, so it might be a chore to install a different type. I actually have another power supply, maybe I could just plug everying into it and try it out.
    Tim
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards