ASUS P4S800D-E and Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9

fozz

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2002
Hi there.
I just purchased an ASUS P4S800D-E (SiS 655Tx Chipset) and loaded up Win Xp pro (+Sp1) on a Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 160Gb SATA hard drive.
This all went well enough and I have installed all the drivers etc. that came with the board (and new version if available from the ASUS website).
However, I am having some very serious system performance issues since the start.
It seems that if there is any HDD activity at all (writing) the whole system moves at a complete crawl.
I mean, I can click on a desktop icon and it may not launch for over a minute. And file copying takes an age and totally occupies the entire system, with the mouse pointer freezing all over the place.
If I leave Task Manager running I can see that the CPU is not maxing out.
And while the system is freezing like this I can see no indication of what is causing it.
I have installed very little on the system since installing XP, and the issue has been there since I first installed the OpSys (Note that a friend got the same components and is having the Same issues).
I can only assume there is some sort of hardware conflict or compatability issue between the MoBo and the HDD?

Any ideas?

Cheers.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Fozz on 02/05/04 09:37 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Prosta

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2004
I have the same mobo, same hdd and same issue.
Reading from the drive is ok. Copying a cd image from my old IDE hdd to sata drive takes 20min.(700mb)

HELP

TRENDING THREADS