Sign in with
Your question

Beep Codes

Tags:
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
February 5, 2004 5:57:14 PM

Hi I just recently got a new mobo, cpu, memory, and vid card. I have put it all together already but it will not boot. I am getting endless beeps which occur at regular intervals. My mobo is an Abit NF7 and I can see a PhoenixBIOS chip on the board. Again the beeps I get are in this pattern 1-1-1-1...etc. Please help me out here.

More about : beep codes

February 5, 2004 6:52:50 PM

It's memory. Make sure the memory is seated correctly. If using dual banks, try just a single stick. Try using different slots. BTW what kind of memory?
February 5, 2004 10:09:09 PM

Is the POST code (the beeps) a single long beep (~ 4 Secs.) repeated? Or is it 4 short beeps.

The longer single beep is memory. Make sure the DIMMs are seated properly. If you have more than one, try taking all but one out, and then try booting.

Spec:
Intel P4 2.4B
MSI 645E Max-U Mobo
512MB DDR333
ATI Radeon 9600XT 128MB
SB Live 5.1
WD 60GB
Maxtor 120GB
LG 12x8x32 CDR
WIN2K PRO SP4
February 7, 2004 4:24:45 PM

Ok, well I have actually tried 2 kinds of memory at this point. The first kind was some Micron memory, and the second was some Elixir memory. Basically, if I put 2 sticks in there in dual-channel config, it will detect everything fine most of the time, but won't boot up past the bios screen. Sometimes it will still give me the memory beep code error. The thing is that I can always get it to work if I just put in one stick. Thanks for your help, any ideas?
February 7, 2004 5:04:28 PM

For your dual channel, are you using 2 generic sticks of RAM? Or two different manufacturers? Dual channel is notoroius for wanting to use matched memory. Try getting a set of Dual-Channel memory, see if that helps.

Spec:
Intel P4 2.4B
MSI 645E Max-U Mobo
512MB DDR333
ATI Radeon 9600XT 128MB
SB Live 5.1
WD 60GB
Maxtor 120GB
LG 12x8x32 CDR
WIN2K PRO SP4
February 7, 2004 6:04:15 PM

Ok, well the memory that I tried first, the Micron memory, was supposedly a dual-channel kit. The thing is that if I put both of them in the same channel then it will work. So I'm thinking that either my memory is in actuality generic memory, or that the motherboard has some problems with it's dual-channel mode. Which do you think is most likely the problem?
February 7, 2004 6:23:48 PM

You can't put marginal memory into Nforce boards!

Did you check for compatibility against the NF7?
Be happy it works at all. The junky memory that I thought might work on this board did not. Luckily I was able to use the memory on another board. I hope u find some way to do the same.

Still you have it working in single channel.

Here is a long shot. Boot in single channel. Add some voltage to the memory (may invalidate the guarnatee on ur memory) save the bios..shut down..move the chips around.
Probably won't work.

The loving are the daring!
February 7, 2004 6:31:17 PM

Ok, well the elixir memory that I tried shows compatibility with the NF7-S on their website. That model is basically the same as the NF7. I'm not sure if that means dual-channel or not however.
!