What can I salvage?

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I recently bought an Asus MB and an AMD XP-3000 CPU for my new machine. After I locked down the CPU the phone rang and distracted me. When I got up to answer it I must have somehow turned the machine on. When I came back into the room I could see smoke and sparks flying up from the case. I guess I kinda freaked out and the only thing I could think to do was to pour half of my beer on it to cool it down. I got it unplugged but it was so damn hot that I went outside and buried it in the snow for about 10 minutes. Once it cooled down I could see that the center of the CPU had bubbled up. I don't think I can get a fan to fit on it anymore! Would it be possible to sand it down flat? Also, the MB is very blackened. What can I use to safely clean it? I have over 300 bucks invested in this and I want to save as much as possible. Any suggestions?

"Everyone needs a good laugh now and then"

sparky853

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003
The case may be OK.

Spec:
Intel P4 2.4B
MSI 645E Max-U Mobo
512MB DDR333
ATI Radeon 9600XT 128MB
SB Live 5.1
WD 60GB
Maxtor 120GB
LG 12x8x32 CDR
WIN2K PRO SP4

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The case is the only thing that's not new. I'm really stumped here. A guy told me to clean the soot and ash of off the MB I should give it an acid bath. After rooting around downstairs I found a gallon of Muratic acid. I mixed up a gallon or so after diluting it about 50% and left the MB in it this morning before work. I was going to take it right out and then, you guessed it, the phone rang. I ended up leaving it in there all day until I got home from work. Man it looks wierd now! A lot of little pieces just fell off when I washed it with water. Do I need to put them back? It is about 5 different colors too! Looks really phat! What next, any suggestions?

Kronos

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2001
Now this is what happens when you forget the Arctic Silver!

I want to die like my Grandfather...in my sleep...not screaming in terror like his passengers.

arussell

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2004
I think you just need to take some S.O.S. pads and scrub it as hard as you can with very hot water and soap for 30 minutes, then it should be good as new :).

System on the way:
Antec Sonata Case w/380W PSU
Athlon 64 3200+
MSI K8T Neo-FIS2R
1 GB Mushkin PC3500
Sapphire Radeon 9800PRO
WD Raptor 74 GB

endyen

Splendid
Can you get an arc welder? You should be able to stick the parts back on with that. Duct tape might work also, if it's not too conductive. Does the acid bath make it lookreally really cool? Should I try that?