WoW plays seems slower on HD laptop

G

Hi Guys.
I recently purchased a Dell 17 with ATI's 3650 HD graphics card along with 4gig of ram and dual core processors.
However, when running World Of Warcraft, although the graphics are a damn sight prettier, my character seems to move a lot slower in comparison to running the game on my XP dekstop.
I was wondering if this had anything to do with playing WoW using dual-core?.
Any help would be great, thanks.

ulysses35

Distinguished
Desktop and Laptop CPU's even with the same basic core architecture differ in that the laptop equivalent is designed to be more power efficient - the trade off being they are slightly slower than the desktop version.

Also its worth taking into account the speed difference of 2.5 and 3.5 inch HDD.

As a rule of thumb and $900 desktop will 99% of them time be faster than a $900 laptop.

kyzar

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010
I don't know if that's what the OP is after?

I don't know about WoW, but in Everquest, mobile CPUs (and some desktops) caused runspeed issues as they changed frequency - if you started the game while the CPU was running at a low frequency you'd run insanely fast when the CPU went up to full speed and vice-verca.

If you just seem to be moving slowly rather than having poor fps try turning off power management before you boot the game.

BeCoolBro

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
Hi Guys.
I recently purchased a Dell 17 with ATI's 3650 HD graphics card along with 4gig of ram and dual core processors.
However, when running World Of Warcraft, although the graphics are a damn sight prettier, my character seems to move a lot slower in comparison to running the game on my XP dekstop.
I was wondering if this had anything to do with playing WoW using dual-core?.
Any help would be great, thanks.
Since the fraphics are prettier the fraphic settings are at a higher level so the gpu is taking a bigger load.That is slowing your gameplay.If you want to fix it lower the graphic settings or resolution but this will decrease the visual quality.

G

You can overclock the 3650 using AMD GPUTOOL.EXE my 4650 goes to 600mhz in my studio 17, mind you watch temps, also what spec is your desktop? try turning a few grahic options down on laptop as well.