Sign in with
Your question

WoW plays seems slower on HD laptop

Last response: in Video Games
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 28, 2010 7:04:17 PM

Hi Guys.
I recently purchased a Dell 17 with ATI's 3650 HD graphics card along with 4gig of ram and dual core processors.
However, when running World Of Warcraft, although the graphics are a damn sight prettier, my character seems to move a lot slower in comparison to running the game on my XP dekstop.
I was wondering if this had anything to do with playing WoW using dual-core?.
Any help would be great, thanks.
February 28, 2010 8:42:24 PM

Desktop and Laptop CPU's even with the same basic core architecture differ in that the laptop equivalent is designed to be more power efficient - the trade off being they are slightly slower than the desktop version.

Also its worth taking into account the speed difference of 2.5 and 3.5 inch HDD.

As a rule of thumb and $900 desktop will 99% of them time be faster than a $900 laptop.
February 28, 2010 9:12:48 PM

ulysses is definitely right. but also, trying lowering the graphics if you want smoother gameplay.
Related resources
March 1, 2010 11:30:16 AM

I don't know if that's what the OP is after?

I don't know about WoW, but in Everquest, mobile CPUs (and some desktops) caused runspeed issues as they changed frequency - if you started the game while the CPU was running at a low frequency you'd run insanely fast when the CPU went up to full speed and vice-verca.

If you just seem to be moving slowly rather than having poor fps try turning off power management before you boot the game.
March 2, 2010 11:17:58 AM

Quote:
Hi Guys.
I recently purchased a Dell 17 with ATI's 3650 HD graphics card along with 4gig of ram and dual core processors.
However, when running World Of Warcraft, although the graphics are a damn sight prettier, my character seems to move a lot slower in comparison to running the game on my XP dekstop.
I was wondering if this had anything to do with playing WoW using dual-core?.
Any help would be great, thanks.

Since the fraphics are prettier the fraphic settings are at a higher level so the gpu is taking a bigger load.That is slowing your gameplay.If you want to fix it lower the graphic settings or resolution but this will decrease the visual quality.
Anonymous
March 4, 2010 10:45:45 AM

You can overclock the 3650 using AMD GPUTOOL.EXE my 4650 goes to 600mhz in my studio 17, mind you watch temps, also what spec is your desktop? try turning a few grahic options down on laptop as well.
!