crang4

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2004
The problem I have is that I just installed the cpu, cpu fan, memory, and video card into my motherboard to see if it works. I connected all the power cables, and when I turned it on, the case + cpu fans start to spin up (for less than a second), but then stops, and nothing further happens. I tried removing all the mounting screws (thinking about the grounding issue), but same thing happens. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

ASUS A7V8X-X
AMD Athlon XP 2400+
ATI Radeon 8500
400W A+GPB PSU
PNY 512MB PC2700 DDR RAM

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
There are still studs under the motherboard even with the screws removed. And grounded circuit would be in a place you didn't even have a screw.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

crang4

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2004
Well i tried powering up outside the case, and that seems to work. So what do i need to do to make sure that it works inside the case. I'm guessing it's some sort of grounding issue, but I don't really know how to address/solve the problem. Basically, I don't know what I'm supposed to be trying to prevent. Thanks in advance.

endyen

Splendid
Count the little metal standoffs that are mounted on the backplate. Them put the mobo in place, and see how many you can put screws into. If there are fewer screwholes than standoffs, find and remove the unused standoffs.

crang4

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2004
Alright, fixed the grounding issue. However, after I installed the other components of my comp (hard drives, cd-rom drives, floppy), the motherboard failed to turn on; even the cpu/case/psu fans don't start. I returned to the bare bones state (mobo w/cpu, mem, vid card) and this no longer works. Is all hope lost? Do i have to rma the mobo? What could be causing this? Even if i get a new mobo, how will I know what not to do next time? Thanks in advance again.

Kronos

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2001
You might try making sure the CPU fan is plugged into the proper header on the MOBO. Had an IWILL that would not boot without it. Goodluck!

I want to die like my Grandfather...in my sleep...not screaming in terror like his passengers.

crang4

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2004
Fixed my problem! wow....really strange, but it was the new power cord that i received that was causing all these problems. it must be defective. anyway, now I have a new problem for you all to solve: I now try to boot into windows, and it says something like "windows could not start up normally possibly because of a new hardware upgrade (or power failure, etc. etc." and all options just causes my comp to reboot. the options are "start windows normally", safe mode, safe mode w/ networking, and safe mode w/ command prompt. Thanks to all those who helped with my last problem, and thanks in advance to all those who will help me with this one.

I am upgrading my old comp, and my old comp was a p3-800mhz. my new cpu is a amd athelon xp 2400+.

Upon reading some suggestions, I did a reinstall of xp (repair install). Now my problem is I get a black screen a few seconds after the winxp logo screen. Doing safe mode, the last line that loads and freezes on is agp440.sys Following other advice, I used recovery console to disable that, but still same problem. <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by crang4 on 02/10/04 03:44 AM.</EM></FONT></P>