Help with HP 4P scanner and SCSI card

Group:
Can some one tell me what to do keep my old HP 4P flat bed scanner?
This scanner just runs great! As it did the day it was new. It is
hooked to my old P2 866 using a Symbus Logic ISA card .

I have built a new 4P, 1.8,GH, with XP, WOW! God! I love this new
computer, but how do I set up my old flat bed scanner that I want to
keep?

I have no experience with SCSI cards, but I think that I need a PCI
SCSI card to make my scanner go on this new system of mine.

If you can tell me details of what to do and I will need details I
will bless you, owe you, or just be real happy.

Thanks, Bruce Buchanan
brujan(NOSPAM)@the-i.net

The other viable option is one of the many Adaptec 2900-series SCSI host
adapters, some with BIOS and some without. But don't get a 2940W, which has a
wide 68-pin external connector on the back.

Some of the Adaptec 2900's have 50-pin miniSCSI external connectors and some
have 25-pin connectors like the Symbios Logic card. I forget which model is
which, except that the 2940 is definitely 50-pin.

Support for Adaptec SCSI is also built into XP... Ben Myers

On 13 Nov 2004 10:19:27 -0800, brujan@electrotex.com (Bruce Buchanan) wrote:

>Group:
>Can some one tell me what to do keep my old HP 4P flat bed scanner?
>This scanner just runs great! As it did the day it was new. It is
>hooked to my old P2 866 using a Symbus Logic ISA card .
>
>I have built a new 4P, 1.8,GH, with XP, WOW! God! I love this new
>computer, but how do I set up my old flat bed scanner that I want to
>keep?
>
>I have no experience with SCSI cards, but I think that I need a PCI
>SCSI card to make my scanner go on this new system of mine.
>
>If you can tell me details of what to do and I will need details I
>will bless you, owe you, or just be real happy.
>
>Thanks, Bruce Buchanan
>brujan(NOSPAM)@the-i.net

On the seventh day, Bruce Buchanan wrote...

> Group:
> Can some one tell me what to do keep my old HP 4P flat bed scanner?
> This scanner just runs great! As it did the day it was new. It is
> hooked to my old P2 866 using a Symbus Logic ISA card .
>
> I have built a new 4P, 1.8,GH, with XP, WOW! God! I love this new
> computer, but how do I set up my old flat bed scanner that I want to
> keep?
>
> I have no experience with SCSI cards, but I think that I need a PCI
> SCSI card to make my scanner go on this new system of mine.
>
> If you can tell me details of what to do and I will need details I
> will bless you, owe you, or just be real happy.

Hello, Bruce,

get yourself a NCR810 (now LSI but sometimes also called Symbios Logic) PCI
SCSI controller card with 50 pin external output. Runs great under Windows
XP without additional drivers. You just have to download the ASPI drivers
from LSI (I can send you the link via email) and install the HP DeskScan
software. Works like a charm (if you remove some characters in
c:\windows\system32\config.nt, that is, but I can tell you what to do
there). Such cards usually don't sell for more than a few bucks. they even
cost less on ebay. If you don't have it already, you also need a matching
cable with 50 pin Sub-HD connector and 25 pin Centronics for the scanner.

HTH

Country song: If You Don't Leave Me Alone, I'll Go And Find
Someone Else Who Will

Jymm

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009