mikek65051

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2001
I am only posting this because the comments from many here made me feel like a fool 3 years ago for using a PC chips board when I build my first system. Something like "are freaking nuts!" Since then I have built 2 more and all 3 have been rock solid. The bottom-line is that if one wants to save money and does not need top of the line there is low risk using these products. Well at least in my experience that is. I don't know if this makes any difference but all these systems are running AMD processors.

Mark,
P.S. No I don't work for them.

Nights_L

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2003
The things is...they might be solid, but they perform worse than the others, and since we are "performace fan-boy", we don't like pc chips
my cousin is using a PC chips motherboard with a Duron 750Mhz, but even my old Celeron500Mhz kicks its ass!!

Johanthegnarler

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2003
I upgrade like once a year, and after i upgrade i'm disappointed that it's not faster. Stability sucks anyways, give me bleeding edge speed for a year.

<A HREF="http://arc.aquamark3.com/arc/arc_view.php?run=610166081" target="_new">http://arc.aquamark3.com/arc/arc_view.php?run=610166081</A>
Figured i'd do it too..reality my ass.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I disagree completely, every PC Chips board I've had has had the keyboard connector fail. That's a 100% failure rate.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
but on a long enough time line, the survival rate of every one drops to zero.

wpdclan.com cs game server - 69.12.5.119:27015
now featuring (optional) cheating death!

endyen

Splendid
Are you using the M810 board with the sis 735 chipset? It is great. Most people call it a K7S5A because it is actually made by ECS. Some of the rebadged boards that PC Chips sells are ok.

endyen

Splendid
No wonder you like it, aside from supporting both sd and ddram it runs the processor cooler than any other board, had most of the latest toys of the time and cost 1/2 of many comparable boards. It was not made by pc chips though. It was made by ECS, and sold more boards than any other in history. The newest iteration, the K7S5A pro is still available at newegg for $45. I bought one in dec/01. It is still working fine at a friends house.

gaviota

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
When I started to become a hardware addict, the first PC I built was a PC Chips, because it was really cheap and I was experimenting anyway. I don't remember the exact model, but it was a Pentuim 3 motherboard, and it ran slower than expected with Windows ME. And when I tried to upgrade to Windows 2000 Professional and it simply would not install. I remember posting the problem in several forums and in the end I also ended up feeling like a fool for buying a POS. I changed the motherboard for an MSI, and using the same 933 Mhz P3 with 256 MB of RAM I used in the PC Chips it ran much faster and Windows 2000 installed without any problems. As a matter of fact, today my wife still uses that PC.