Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Bad Company 2 - Nvidia or ATI?

Last response: in Video Games
March 1, 2010 4:59:38 PM

Well I'm going to be getting Battlefield Bad Company 2 and a new video card tomorrow when it comes out, my question is what video card would the frostbite engine better utilize?? I know some games are geared more towards Nvidia, and others run better on ATI cards.... so any thoughts/experiences?

More about : bad company nvidia ati

March 1, 2010 5:13:33 PM

I got a 5770 and it looked in the beta, but im not that technical or anything.
m
l
March 1, 2010 5:56:23 PM

Well the reason I ask is I see that they have Nvidia cards listed for their Min and Recommended Video cards, but nothing mentioned for ATI
m
l
Related resources
March 1, 2010 6:14:31 PM

That is true. I am not sure if there is that much of a notable difference, but I do impartially got a ATI card because I need an upgrade and didn't want to wait until the new nVidia cards came out..
m
l
March 1, 2010 6:59:56 PM

sonicmachinehead said:
Well the reason I ask is I see that they have Nvidia cards listed for their Min and Recommended Video cards, but nothing mentioned for ATI

Well, you see, they show nvidia for the min and rec, because NVIDIA IS THE KING. haha caps ftw. I really dont think it matters at all. it usually doesnt, probably just cause nvidia supported the game more or something like that.
m
l
March 2, 2010 8:07:18 PM

I bought a BFG GTX 260 2 years agoand I still have it... But I think you should pay attention to the articles on this website. NVIDIA's prices, especially for the upcoming cards are just ridiculous to get a DX11 card. Go with an ATI in your budget this time around. Your CPU is going to matter a lot as well, make sure you have quad core.
m
l
March 2, 2010 8:10:51 PM

Another thought...if you are buying a new card it only makes sense to get a DX11 card for the future. The only one offering that at a sensible price is ATI. I put a 4870 in my Dad's build and a 5770 in my GF's build, both XFX. Dad plays Empire Total War a lot and is very happy with his card. Still checking out the 5770 but happy so far.
m
l
March 2, 2010 11:22:39 PM

Since the PC Beta we've done a bunch of optimizations on the effect together with both Nvidia and AMD, so if you had performance problems with it before: please give it a shot again in the retail game if you have a modern & fast GPU!

Frostbite 1.5 will also support both NV 3D vision and eyefinity so it sounds pretty equally optimized for both sets of hardware.
m
l
March 3, 2010 12:25:47 AM

I love nvidia, but since im not bias towards either (hehe) im gonna go ati unless nvidia can seriously cut their prices...
m
l
March 3, 2010 10:58:42 AM

im running it on a 5850 and its super shiny and maxxed out with no fps issues at all. ati offer best bang for buck at the moment but im sure that will change. Went for the 5850 because of dx11 though. nvidia will then fight back and so on. a 5770 is good bang for buck as well and gives you dx11.
m
l
March 10, 2010 10:13:22 AM

I ended up getting a 5770, but it didn't work with my older 590 AMD Mobo.. :( 
So I borrowed my friends 4850 and everything worked great, I guess the 5xxx series has issues with some of the older chipsets....
m
l
March 10, 2010 4:31:34 PM

A 2.5ghz Dual core would be getting sub 30fps in BC2 no matter your video card. The BC2 beta forums were littered with with complaints about PII 3ghz+ x2 CPUs getting pegged and horrible FPS.

This game has a very high quality sound and physics engine and actually puts some of those cores to work.
m
l
March 10, 2010 5:12:09 PM

Kewlx25 said:
A 2.5ghz Dual core would be getting sub 30fps in BC2 no matter your video card. The BC2 beta forums were littered with with complaints about PII 3ghz+ x2 CPUs getting pegged and horrible FPS.

This game has a very high quality sound and physics engine and actually puts some of those cores to work.

Im am almost sure that any PII will do great if you have a modern card.
m
l

Best solution

March 10, 2010 8:37:38 PM

In the steam BC2 forums, there were several people who claimed to have 3ghz+ PII X2s and 5870s and complained about sub 40fps with low graphics settings.

One person even reposted a few days later and said he went out and upgraded his PII x2 3.5ghz(OC'd) to a PII X4 2.8ghz and the game runs silkly smooth.

lots of anecdotal evidence. I would love to see more "scientific" benchmarks instead of random forum people.
March 11, 2010 5:30:48 AM

JDV28 said:
Im am almost sure that any PII will do great if you have a modern card.

Nope. This is a Quad-Core requiring game. 99% sure.
m
l
March 11, 2010 10:53:06 AM

arcticking said:
Nope. This is a Quad-Core requiring game. 99% sure.

No, a decent Dual Core works great, I have an old Athlon X2 6000 @ 3.2Ghz and can run BC2 just fine on high settings with a 4850, no lag, no problems...
m
l
March 11, 2010 5:39:41 PM

Wow, so we have people with very modern dual cores that cant play, AND someone with an older dual core that works just fine. its understandable because this game is still very unstable. I think it takes way too much to run nicely.
m
l
March 12, 2010 2:38:47 PM

I'm really disappointed on how many bugs they have to work out, the multilayer is spotty at Best, and it just seems like it is still in beta mode, and not the finished product it should be... Hopefully the updates and patches to come will address some of these issues.
m
l
March 12, 2010 7:18:32 PM

sonicmachinehead said:
I'm really disappointed on how many bugs they have to work out, the multilayer is spotty at Best, and it just seems like it is still in beta mode, and not the finished product it should be... Hopefully the updates and patches to come will address some of these issues.

Yes, Definitely will be patches, and hopefully very soon. I honestly think that the beta felt more stable. I still get C to Ds like twice a day at least.
m
l
March 12, 2010 8:30:20 PM

I must be in the minority because I haven't had any performance issues thus far. The "issue" I have occasionally are the ranks in multiplayer rapidly cycle through all of the symbols sometimes. I also don't like how you can't view the scoreboard when in the respawn screen or see what class the rest of your squad is. Hopefully the next patch addresses this. Other than those small issues, I'm very happy with the game.
m
l
March 12, 2010 9:33:28 PM

Yea i have seen the rank cycles quite a bit.
m
l
March 23, 2010 2:29:57 PM

Best answer selected by sonicmachinehead.
m
l
!