Problem with SK8N ASUS

fg2010

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2004
I am about to return the SK8N ASUS mother board I just purchased and thought I would post my problem here first and see if anyone has any suggestions.

I am building a new system and decided to go with a Athlon 64 bit FX processor. The motherboard that was recommeded by mail order company I ordered from was the ASUS SK8N.

I put the system together, installed the processor and memory and now when I power it on I do not get past a beep sequence that indicates a serious problem with memory. I recieve one long and 2 short beeps. Originally I ordered
2 Corsair's Valueselect 2700 type 512 MB chips, I then puchased Kingston Samsung 3200 type memory. I recieve the same beep sequence for both.

My thoughts are that I really need a BIOS upgrade to support the FX processor but have no way of completing the bios upgrade since the system will not boot up to an OS.

This in mind I am thinking of sending the board back and going with a different board. All the memory and componants work in my other systems (I have not tested the processor anywhere else).

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
OCWorkshop proved the Soyo K8USA was the fastest A64 board on the market, and Anantech showed the ECS 755-A2 handles memory better than any other A64 board.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

fg2010

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2004
ECC only? According to the manual it supported the DDR 2700 and 3200 memory. The Kingston chips wer eon the list of tested 3200 DDR memory for the board.

allanon1965

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2003
this is straight out of the manual on ram support"-Dual-Channel memory architecture
-4 x 184-pin DIMM Sockets support max. 8GB registered PC3200 / PC2700 / PC2100 / PC1600 ECC DDR SDRAM memory" note: EEC DDR SDRAM memory, this means NON EEC(the kind you bought) will not work:) you need to return the ram, there is nothing wrong with the motherboard. your vendor should have caught this...

Fat, Drunk, and Stupid is no way to go through life Son.

Prof133

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2003
Registered required, ECC or non-ECC. Addressed in Asus SK8N FAQ on their <A HREF="http://www.asus.com/support/support.aspx" target="_new">website</A>:
SK8N is designed to support PC2700/PC2100/PC1600 Registered ECC DDR SDRAM only (When having AMD Optron Processor installed), and PC3200/PC2700/PC2100/PC1600 Registered ECC and Non-ECC SDRAM only (when having AMD Athlon 64FX Processor installed).