xrepo

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2004
Im running an 8k7a epox board and wanted to know the fastest amd processor I can put on. Soooo I called epox and was told that the 2200 amd would be the fastest THAT THEY HAVE TESTED. Can you run a faster processor on the board or other boards? in other words what determines just how fast you can go??? I was told that the bios has no control over this. Thanks for your help.

The motherboard chipset and bios can both influence the maximum cpu. Usually on older motherboards, the manufacturer won't bother upgrading the bios for newer cpus. If epox recommends the xp2200, then I wouldn't try anything higher. You can always try overclocking, but the 2200 doesn't overclock as well as some lower speed cpus. But it's so cheap that I would get it and not worry about overclocking.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If your board supports the 2200+, it supports the 2400+. Faster processors than that use a faster bus speed which would be unsupported.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Motherboard makers rarely report the true max processor speed for their boards.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>