SMC 2804WBR - Problems in "g" mode

I'm having problems getting my SMC 2804WBR to stay connected via
wireless to my Compaq notebook. Here is what I have:

- Compaq R3120US with a Broadcom 802.11(g) built-in adapter
- SMC 2804WBR connected to an SMC 7004 router. DHCP disabled on the
2804WBR, simply using it as an access point.

When I run the wireless in the "g" mode, I very often lose the
connection, EVEN THOUGH my computer says it has a strong connection.
The only solution is to power-cycle the router. I've got the router
in the "b" mode only and it seems to be much more stable. Sometimes
it will work in the "g" mode, but it is very unreliable.

I've seen up to three different wireless networks by others in my
neighborhood...don't know if that could be a problem or not.

I've installed the latest Broadcom drivers from Compaq and downloaded
the latest firmware from SMC.

Thanks in advance for any other suggestions or ideas.

Michael

Howard

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2001

mjwsjw@gmail.com (Michael Wright) wrote in

> When I run the wireless in the "g" mode, I very often lose the
> connection, EVEN THOUGH my computer says it has a strong connection.
> The only solution is to power-cycle the router. I've got the router
> in the "b" mode only and it seems to be much more stable. Sometimes
> it will work in the "g" mode, but it is very unreliable.
>
> I've installed the latest Broadcom drivers from Compaq and downloaded
> the latest firmware from SMC.

There's your problem right there. Roll back a firmware version. The
latest is NOT the greatest, in this case.

Does anyone have any ideas on this problem?

> Does anyone have any ideas on this problem?

Yeah, but I don't see a need to post it a second time.