1 long beep followed by 2 short ones... bios prob

YoDaddyAlex

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2002
im putting together a computer for my buddy. the monitor doesn't turn on, it stays in power save, and it keeps repeating one long beep followed by 2 short beeps.

is this a video card or ram problem? ive tried the 2 different sticks of ram and that doesn't fix it. it's a asus p4p800 deluxe mobo and im trying to use a asus fx5950 ultra video card. help please!!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Sounds like a card issue to me, doesn't that card have an additional power input that connects to a power cable? Did you plug in a power cable?

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

YoDaddyAlex

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2002
yes I plugged the power cable into the video card and its still giving me one long beep 2 short beeps. any other suggestions??

Coyote

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2003
Check the mobo manual for beep codes. Post back with what it says about that beep. If you can't find it in the manual, check their website.

I did have a link to site which listed the meaning of all beep codes for various BIOS/mobo but it's down. Sorry

Barton 2500+
Abit NF7-S v 2.0
Maxtor 60GB ATA 133 7200RPM
512MB Corsair Twinx 3200LL
9600 Pro
Win98SE

YoDaddyAlex

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2002
well im pretty sure that means video card problems. i checked the video card and the fans aren't turning on. now that means either a bad agp slot or a bad video card... but I tried another video card and it still gave me the same problem. so im thinking bad agp slot. any suggestion to test until I hear back from asus support?