Gigabyte GA-8KNXP problem

maramse

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2004
Hi. I just upgraded my motherboard and chip and memory to a Gigabyte GA-8KNXP 875 chipset with the Pentium IV 3.2 chip and 1 gb of Corsair memory. I kept the ati radeon 9500 pro video card. I upgraded from an AMD 2400xp chip. My gaming app is FS2004. I was hoping for a marked increase in performance, but my initial results with FS2004 are dismal, about 1/6 the performance of the 2400xp chip. I ran 3dmark03 and got a benchmark of 915, which is apparently pathetic compared to comparable systems. I'm hoping I could get some insight and what I have configured wrong in the system to get these results.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I have my RAM set at the same speed as the CPU, and a similar (but slightly weaker) card with the AIW 9600 Pro. I get like 4x that score.

Did you load the Intel INF update off the motherboard CD?

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

maramse

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2004
Yes, I loaded the drivers last night. I checked my power supply and it is 300w. I plugged in another fan and when I load up FS2004, it makes it a few seconds and then freezes solid now. One time it CTD and the video was horrid and windows claimed it lost a driver. I have tried to rerun 3dmark03 and it freezes solid also. Could this be indicative of too weak of a power supply?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
No, a lack of power will cause the system to lock or reboot.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

maramse

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2004
of course after I installed a new antec430w psu, I noticed that the cpu heatsink wasn't seated properly. I reseated the heatsink and reran 3dmark03 and got a 3455 mark. That still seems low but is definitely a big improvement from before.