GA-7N400 identification?

supermunkee

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2004
Good evening everyone. I've been hiding in the bushes for a while now and decided I would finally come out and pose my first question.

I just got my hands on a Gigabyte GA-7N400-L (hats off to newegg, as usual) and I have a fairly basic question. I think I already know the answer but I thought I'd ask you all just to be sure.

I've never had a Gigabyte motherboard before so I was flipping through the manual to get myself acquainted when I noticed the board layout pictures for each model (GA-7N400 Pro2, GA-7N400, GA-7N400-L). The illustrations, as well as the labeled picture of an actual board, all indicate that the model number is printed on the board just above the DIMM slots. I looke don my board and sure enough, there it is...and here is where my question comes in.

Now, I ordered a GA-7N400-L, but my board has "GA-7N400" printed on it. By all appearances it looks like the board is manufactured just like any other electronic gizmo, standard board used for all models, extra pieces added as the model numbers go up. Now, my board has the on-board LAN connection as well as the LAN chip on the board (GA-7N400 doesn't have this feature) so I'm thinking that I got the right model, it just has the wrong model name on the board.

Am I being overly paranoid here? Or should I RMA it for a replacement with the correct model name on it?

I suppose I could always check out the ID number on the BIOS screen and see what it tells me...

Thanks in advance for any input.

endyen

Splendid
I just downloaded the image from gigabyte, and guess what? The board they use to show also does not have the L. Your board would appear to be normal. I hear it's a great board, so enjoy.

grafixmonkey

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2004
It's typical for little model number suffixes like that to only indicate the presence of some optional integrated component, like LAN card. Sometimes the manufacturers sort of sit on the fence between it being a different model number or being the same model number. I guess in Gigabyte's case, they take the presence of the network plug in the back to be equivalent to putting the " -L " on it.