No Power to computer

Thira

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2004
I recently replaced a power supply (added a 400 watt CompUSA power supply) to an old computer. When I turned on the computer the motherboard fried (piece of metal from the case had slipped behind the motherboard.
I replaced the motherboard (Abit NF7-S- Asus PB3-F old), memory (512 MB Mushkin blue PC3200-256 PC 100 old), processor (AthlonXP 2600 Bartow- P entium III 700).
Now when I turn on the computer no power.
I discharged the CMOS.
Also to note, I had replaced the hard drive with a Maxtor 160 MB (new) and added a new DVD =/- R/RW 9 Lighton-new) when the motherboard fried.
Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Thanks

endyen

Splendid
Power supplies have fuses inside. You could try to change it yourself, but most tech shops would charge more than a psu costs. They put more than one fuse in there but a massive current when a dead short is applied will generally kill components as well as fuses. Most power bars have breakers in them, make sure it isn't the power bar. Plug a light in to the power bar as a test.

timberwolf1

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2003
Hi,

Sounds like your power supply may have a problem. Did you change the power supply? It should be a problem with either the motherboard or power supply.

Gary Hendricks
<A HREF="http://www.digital-music-guide.com" target="_new">www.digital-music-guide.com</A>

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
is there any evidence of power at all? Hard drives spinning up etc? If not, I would suspect something is loose (expansion card) or you still might have a grounding problem. Try the MB out of the case.

There is a way to test the power supply without the board.

To test an ATX power supply:

First, disconnect everything from the power supply (including MB.) Plug
AC cord into the rear of the PS. IF the PS has its own rocker on/off
switch, turn it ON. There should be +5v on pin 9 of the 20 pin connector
(+5vsb, usually a violet wire.) There should be >0.8v on pin 14 (PS-ON,
usually a green wire.) This is from an internal pull-up to the +5vsb.

Connect PS power leads to 1 or 2 IDE HDs (for a load). Jumper pin 14
(PS-ON) to pin 13 (ground, black wire.) At this point, fan in PS should
start spinning, drives should spin, and + 5/12v, -5/12v, +3.3v, and
+5vsb should be present at 20 pin connector.

Disconnecting pin 14-13 jumper should turn supply back off.

<pre> \|/
jlanka (. .)
___________oOOo_(_(_)_)_oOOo___________
</pre><p>